What to do with Plums
Plums are perfect whatever you do
Plums, with their tart skins and juicy fruit are delicious eaten raw with the stone removed, but you can cook up plums too.
Plums can be poached, boiled, baked, grilled, pan-fried or microwaved. Plum jam is a perfect way to preserve the dark flavour.
Serve plums with ice cream, custard, fresh cream, over breakfast cereal, and in fruit salad. Plums also turn into tangy sauce, chutney, tapenade, pate and sherbets, mixed into cakes or breads and cooked in tarts and pies.
You can do so much with a plum!
Simplest way to cook plums.
- 1 k plums
- 3/4 cup sugar or a little more if plums are tart
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine sugar and water in small/medium sized sauce pan. Boil for 3 minutes, until thick.
- Add plums; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer stewed plums for about 10 minutes, or until plums are tender.
Stewed Plums in the Slow Cooker
- 1 k plums
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon cornflour
- Wash plums. Halve plums, remove pits, and halve again.
- Toss with sugar and put n the slow cooker.
- Combine cold water with cornflour; add to plums.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 3 hours
- Serve as a side dish with roast pork or ham, or as a dessert with cream.
Plum (yum) Cake
- 1 k dark plums
- 2 cups water
- Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
- 500 g caster sugar
- Cut plums into quarters and remove stone
- Put plums and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for an hour
- Add lemon juice and sugar. Stir over heat without boiling, till the sugar dissolves..
- Boil uncovered, stirring occasionally (about 15-20 minutes) or until jam feels like jelly
- Pour hot jam into hot sterilised jars and seal while hot.
- Ready-to-use shortcrust pastry flan
- 500 g plums
- 6 heaped tablespoons castor sugar
- Apricot jam to garnish
- Line a flan tin with ready-to-use shortcrust pastry, 5mm thick.
- Prick the base with a fork and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons castor sugar.
- Place 500g plums, halved and stoned, cut-side-up over base.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons castor sugar and cook at 200ÃC for 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- Brush top with apricot jam
Fish with Plums
Plum Fish Fillets
Marinate white fish fillets in teriyaki sauce for 15 minutes. Pan-fry until just cooked. Remove and keep warm.
Slice plums thickly and sauté in butter, 2-3 minutes. Stir in some redcurrant jelly and heat 1-2 minutes. Serve on fish with tossed salad.
Your Way to Get Five a Day
Cooking with Plums Videos
Sometimes it's easier to see a recipe being put together on a video.
A few plum recipes (including plum wine) for you to have fun with
Straightforward Plum Jam
Plum Jam Tip
A tip from Nellie Adelaide Bloodworth, inspiring cook and meticulous homemaker, who left this world in 1996 at the age of 89.
Stand by the pot stirring and always skim all the froth from the top!
Green Plum Wine and Syrup
Plum with Nutmeg, Orange and Wine Syrup
© 2012 Susanna Duffy