Whole-Grain Banana Bread: It tastes like cake, to me!
I love old recipe banana bread; this is better!
My wife and I tried a couple of new recipes this Christmas season... this is one. It is a bit more complicated than our normal banana bread - but I suppose that is what makes it special, for us. I hope you like it.
I took the photo while it was cooling. Pretty neat, huh? ;-)
Do you like Banana Bread? - I sure do! How about you?
Do you like Banana Bread?
My wife and I tried out a couple of new recipes this year, this is the second one. She enjoyed finding it and adapting it to our needs. I enjoyed helping our and eating it!
As usual, for richest flavor, use fully ripe bananas that are flecked with brown and somewhat soft. I cut them up in little squares, and then squished them with a fork. One of my contributions... was it my only contribution? Besides eating my share, of course! ;-)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 2/3 cup Yoplait (or other) Fat Free plain yogurt (from 2-lb container)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Grain Total cereal
- slightly crushed
- 1. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms only of two 8x4-inch loaf pans or one 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening.
- 2. In large bowl, mix sugar and margarine. Stir in egg whites until well blended. Add bananas, yogurt and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients except cereal just until moistened. Stir in cereal. Pour into pans.
- 3. Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Loosen sides on loaves from pans; remove from pans. Cool completely, about 1 hour.