Yellow Butter Cake
Yellow butter cake
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 c. cake flour *all purpose flour will work fine
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk or whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2, 9 inch round pans.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time to incorporate evenly. Pour in vanilla and butter extracts and mix.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. pour in 1/2 the buttermilk and mix, then add the remaining flour and buttermilk, alternating between the dry ingredients and the buttermilk.
- Pour cake batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake in 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool then frost and layer with your favorite frosting.