- Food and Cooking
You can't live without Mashed Potatoes
The Ultimate Versatile Ingredient, Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are made by mashing, pulverizing or pureeing potatoes with the use of fork or some other tool like potato masher, ricer or food mill. Potatoes are usually mashed along with butter and milk to add extra rich flavors. All types of potatoes can be mashed but the floury type is more recommended. Mashed potato is a staple that cannot be taken away from almost every dining table. It could be served plainly along with different types of dishes, or could be used as a main ingredient in making a variety of dishes. This dish is probably the most versatile vegetable or ingredient of all time, name it, and it can turn into any kind of dish you want. They could be made into pies, casseroles, croquettes, dumplings, bread, omelets and even into candies. Can you believe how amazing this pureed vegetable could be? Find out more about mashed potatoes as you read along.
For all mashed potato lovers out there, here's the very basic recipe for mashed potatoes.
- 3 lbs potatoes
- water to cover
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- First, peel the potatoes and cut into large pieces. Place in a large pot filled with salted water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes with a strainer and put into a large bowl. Mash them with a masher or fork until smooth in consistency. Gradually pour in milk, beating after each addition, until desired consistency is achieved. Blend in butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, beating until mashed potatoes are light and fluffy. This recipe would serve 6-8 people.
Thick, Tasty Gravy Recipe
Mashed potatoes wouldn't be complete without its perfectly partnered gravy, right? For all you guys who want to experience yet another one of those priceless moments between your taste buds, your stomach, and yourself, better follow these easy steps in making gravy. Make your very own gravy with this classic recipe. Pair this with mashed potatoes and you'll surely have a perfect evening.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 3 cups
- Heated and defatted turkey drippings (with chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 pound butter (unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Cognac brandy
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 chopped onions (yellow)
- 1 tablespoon white wine (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Prepare your medium-sized saucepan and put into medium-low heat. SautÃ© butter and onions for 15 minutes just until the yellow onions become a slightly translucent brown.
- Gradually grab a handful of flour and sprinkle lightly on the sizzling pan. Constantly stir the mixture while the flour is added. Then, dust over with kosher salt and pepper. Mix over the same temperature for 3 more minutes.
- Pour drippings and Cognac over the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Don't put a lid on it. Make sure the mixture is becoming thick after these 5 minutes.
- Then, mix in cream and white wine if you want a richer, thicker taste. Stir for a couple more minutes and season some more.
- Pour into gravy bowl and serve poured over your mashed potato.
The Simple Recipe For Mashed Potatoes
The Popular Dishes made with Mashed Potatoes
Potato Pie is a traditional side dish or Thanksgiving dish that's made in a large tart in a pie shell. Its filling is made of rich mashed potatoes(sweet potatoes) along with milk, sugar, eggs and flavored with spices such as nutmeg, and other ingredients like vanilla and banana extracts. The Shepherd's pie, on the other hand, is filled with mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, meat and veggies.
Potato Croquettes are small patties or rolls that are deep fried to a crispy golden brown, they are usually rolled in breadcrumbs and include meat filling. These are usually served as a side dish or an appetizer.
Either white or sweet potatoes can be used to make potato cakes. These can take the form of a main dish, a side dish, or a dessert. These are often combined with flour, eggs and a small amount of cream, and then fried in butter.
Potato candies are remarkably sweet desserts. They are very easy to make. The 3 basic things you need in order to make these are confectioner's sugar, peanut butter and of course, mashed potatoes. Potatoes are boiled and then mashed. They are rolled in confectioner's sugar and coated with peanut butter. You can mix other ingredients, of course, to add new flavors. You can add cocoa, peppermint, cinnamon and melted chocolate chips.
Potato Dumplings are delicious comfort foods that people enjoy nowadays. Potato dumplings are made from mashed or riced potato mixture that are formed into balls and gently boiled. A variety of complimentary ingredients can be added such as flour, cheese, onion and bacon. Potato Dumplings vary from one country to another. German dumplings are served with roast and gravy, Polish, Russian and Ukrainian dumplings are made from a mashed potato filling contained inside a flour-based dough and served with sour cream.
Mashed Potatoes' Nutritional Goodness - The Nutrients We Could Get from Potatoes
Potatoes could greatly enhance our immune system because they are rich in Vitamin C, thus, protecting us from various illnesses and diseases and enhancing our body's ability to absorb other essential vitamins. Vitamin C aids in the absorption of other vitamins and minerals. Potatoes are also a valuable source of dietary fiber which helps us maintain normal elimination and keeps our tummies healthy. Vitamin B6, that is widely known to prevent health problems, is also present in potatoes. This vitamin is vital in maintaining nerve functioning, preventing heart diseases, kidney stones, premenstrual syndrome, mental depression, etc. Another nutrient that's abundant in potatoes is potassium. Potato skins, specifically have higher concentrations of potassium. Potassium helps maintain normal blood pressure and stabilizes the levels of salt in our bodies. On the other hand, sweet potatoes are a good source of Vitamin A that could maintain healthy vision and healthy skin. Other nutrients that we could get from potatoes are iron, copper,and of course, carbohydrates. Mashed potatoes are not only a versatile ingredient that could turn into hundreds of dishes but also a very nutritious staple.