3 Reasons Why Fortnite Got So Popular
What is Fortnite?
Fortnite is an early-access free-to-play game that initially released on July 25, 2017.
Fortnite is a battle royale of one hundred players. All one hundred players start off on a bus that flies over a relatively large island. Players can choose when to jump off the bus and skydive onto the island. Players go around collecting materials and loot that consist of wood, brick, steel, various weapons, potions, healing items, and more. Players have to compete to kill others and stay alive as long as possible. The last one standing is rewarded with Victory Royale.
Let's see how popular it REALLY is...
Have you played Fortnite before?
Overview: The Most Popular Game of 2017/18
If you haven't at least heard of Fortnite by now, one can assume thy literally lives under a rock. The buzz about this game is absolutely bonkers. From school students to professional gamers and YouTubers, this game has set off a huge spark in the gaming community. So much so, that even non-gamers are playing this early access pastime. Let's take a look at a few reasons why!
First and Foremost...
One of the main contributing factors to Fortnite's success is the fact that it's free. Although it isn't as simple as that, it is a leading cause to the reason it blew up. Let's analyze this a little further.
One may ask that what is so special about Fortnite being free? There are a ton of free-to-play and early access games that are released by the week. What is it the lead Fortnite to flourish?
Well, Fortnite's success isn't based solely on the fact that it is free, but instead, it is due to how well its free-to-play asset interlocks with the premise and features of the game itself. That means that the fact that Fortnite is free at the moment is a strong basis that heavily supports the other factors we will be discussing.
To understand all this in simple terms, take this analogy into consideration: Let's say someone is selling a box of ten chicken nuggets for only two dollars. We'll call this Box A. Despite Box A being a great deal, there is another man who is also selling a box of ten chicken nuggets for two dollars as well, however in this box, there's a side of potato wedges and 2 packets of ketchup. Let's say this is Box B. It's not that difficult to figure out which of the two boxes will get more attention and overall consumers.
Box B can essentially be seen as Fortnite. Everyone loves chicken nuggets, just like how everyone loves free games. Though Box B didn't just come with chicken nuggets, but instead, it came with two extra add-ons that go perfectly well with them, all for the same price as Box A. These "add-ons" refer to Fortnite's game structure and features that fit perfectly together with its free-to-play aspect, which has entitled Fortnite to build its fortress of success
In the ocean of video games, Fortnites free-to-play basis gave it a bit of a boost, but its other factors are what helped the game prosper. Let's take a further look at what these other contributing assets are.
Just Pick Up and Play
Casualness: A Turn for Everyone
A key component to Fortnite's uprising is how casual and fun the game is. This is one of the factors that go hand-in-hand with Fortnite's free-to-play aspect.
There is an abundance of games that are free, but many of these games have not experienced the fame that Fortnite has. This is because a lot of these games are either much too competitive, too hard to learn, or consume considerable amounts of time, all of which do not always exactly please the general audience.
Fortnite, on the other hand, can be the exactly this, or the exact opposite. It is all up to the player. Pick up a controller and play a few rounds and get back to work, or spend your Friday night casually gaming away. Fortnite is easy to learn and fun to play, which has attracted so many people, including those who don't necessarily play video games too often.
Being so easy to pick up and enjoy, along with the fact that it's free, makes Fortnite accessible to the everyone, which is why it got so much buzz. But there's still one huge reason why Fortnite got so much attention...
Hardcore vs. Casual
Do you take video games seriously?
Squads: Fun with Friends
Squads. This is the cherry on top that has allowed Fortnite to progress so well. Squads mode allows players to play with up to 3 other friends together. This multiplies the amount the experience and enjoyment by an insane amount. It calls for some great Friday nights, crazy moments, and good times in general.
Warning: There are a plethora of ways to troll your friends in Fortnite. For an example, building a really high fortress and breaking the bottom so they fall to their inevitable death. This most likely will give you quite the laugh, but be cautious! Doing so might result in broken friendships and lonely souls.
Tips For People Who Play
If you do play Fortnite and have difficulty finding a spot in the top ten survivors, let alone gaining Victory Royale, here are a few tips to tips and tricks that will extensively expand your capability of winning.
- Knowing where to land: It is crucial to know when and where to land when jumping off the Battle Bus. The ideal places to land are anywhere near the edge of the map, off of the Battle Buses route. Although it will take some time to glide there, It is usually always worth it, as many people do not land in those areas, giving you the chance to loot it all.
- Avoid unnecessary engagement: If you see someone in the distance that is not aware of your surrounding, it is best to avoid engagement in battle, unless you are one hundred percent sure you will win the fight. This helps you stay alive longer, and stay under the radar.
- Optimize your loadout: Make sure you are packing smart. Do not pick up two or three of the same weapon, and absolutely do not fill your entire loadout with just weapons. Make sure to pick up shields, med-kits, and bandages. A smarter inventory is guaranteed to emit greater results.
- Communicate: If you are playing Duo or Squads, communication is the key to winning. Without communication, the purpose of playing with a team is essentially undermined. Communication allows you to help your teammates by notifying where there's danger, and where there's loot. It is highly recommended that those who play have a good headset with a microphone to not only communicate, but also obtain the ability to hear enemy footsteps and gunfire while allocating where it's coming from.
Overall Review and Verdict
- First off, it's free. Who doesn't like that?
- Moving along, the game has frequent updates that include new weapons, maps, and seasonal updates allow the game to stay fresh and fun.
- Easy to learn. If you're taking longer than thirty minutes to get a hold of how to play, you might need to see a doctor.
- Squads mode allow you to have the time of your life with your friends.
- Unlike many games, there is no penalty for leaving mid game if you have to. Nothing to save, nothing to lose.
- The artistic cartoony style is visually appealing and easy on the eyes. Gives the game an overall enjoyable look.
- More often than not, winning first place takes a long time, as there are one hundred people in the game.
- Limited game modes. The only available game modes are PvE or Battle Royale. Sub modes of Battle Royale are Solo, Duo, or Squads, which are all explanatory. Don't get me wrong, these are all very entertaining and enjoyable, especially Squads, but the game could use a bit more content.
- The game can become repetitive after some time, particularly when you are playing solo.
Sum up: Fortnite is a great game and definitely worth a shot. Grab a few friends to play with and hop on!
As mentioned earlier, all factors contributing Fortnite's success are intertwined. Here's a sum up in one sentence: A free-to-play game that's easy to learn and is great fun to play along with friends. This right here is the reason why Fortnite completely blew up.
If you don't have the game already, I'm not exactly sure what you are waiting for. It's free! Grab it and pave your way to Victory Royale!