Anagram: From Secret Messages into a Game
Anagram is the jumble of words or letters we see from a newspaper for us to form new words out of it.
Anagrams, despite being a modern amusement, has a sacred history of sacred symbolism.
- The mystical teachings of the Kabbala drew heavily on anagrams, The priest rearranges the letters of Hebrew words to derive new meanings.
- French kings throughout the Renaissance period were so convinced that anagrams held magic power that they appointed royal anagrammists to help make better decisions by analyzing words in important documents.
- It is called Themuru during the times of Moses where hidden and sacred meanings were derived out of given words.
- The Romans actually referred to the study of anagrams as ARS MAGNA - "the great art".
- It became a literary game during the Latin period, especially for the literates
Today, we still use this kind of word play from the subject word we want to change. New meaning can be an antonym, synonym, parody or praise of the word. It can be:
- Names - Most of my friends during high school will change the spelling of their names, including I, as long as it's readable. Pseudonyms or aliases always comes out with very funny meaning or even serious one.
- Titles - Songs, movies, books or album titles are often given new names by their authors or even their critics as well.
- Games - European game shows often feature anagram games. My respect, because they're the ones who started it. They continue to promote this interesting pastime into a national television program.
- Computer programs - anagram servers or anagrammers are the most convenient anagram solvers to date. Classified or secret information or cryptic messages from the military will be solved by these programs easily in just a snap of our fingers or in a split second with plenty of choices . Unlike before, when an anagrammist can solve it for weeks.
Anagrams of some Famous People
- George Bush = He bugs Gore
- Madonna Louise Ciccone = Occasional nude income or One cool dance musician;
- William Shakespeare = I am a weakish speller
- Roger Meddows-Taylor = Great words or melody
I can conclude that the anagram of a person's can be one of his/her traits and characteristic.
Jimmy Carr's Amazing Anagram on QI c/o mkbmainpc
Let's play anagram!
Can you derive a perfect anagram on this?
How about this one?
The clues are simple and you can jumble it very fast.
Please comment if you got it already. Thanks!