- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
DIY Kids Fishing Game
An easy to make felt fishing game using magnets
I have a 2 year old nephew, I love him to pieces and wanted to hand make him some gifts for Christmas this year. We tried to take him and some other littlies fishing last year and we very soon realised that 2 year olds and real fishing rods were not a good match. So I decided to make him this cute, safe and hook-free, fishing set, just until he is big enough for the real deal.
Hows the how- to:
You will need:
- Felt pieces/scraps in colours of your choice
- Needle and Cotton
- Wobbly Eyes
- Metal charms or disks (for mouth piece)
- Wooden dowl
- Plastic Float
- Fishing Gut
- First I drew the outline of a fish on a piece of paper and cut this out to make my fish template. (Here is a template if you aren't that keen to free hand it! Click here)
- Next I traced this template onto my felt and cut out 8 fish shapes (equals 4 fish)
- I cut out triangles to resemble the fish fins in a different colour and stitched these on to the fish. (Make sure you stitch the fins the right way round)
- Next Glue on your wobbly eyes.
- Starting approximately 1cm below the fish mouth, stitch 2 pieces together, leaving a gap to stuff the fish.
- Once the fish is stuffed then stitch the mouth closed and attach the metal charm.
- Paint the rod any colour of your choice.
- The next step is quite difficult so follow closely... Take your rod, fishing gut, float and ask anyone who knows about fishing to turn it into a fishing rod set up. I'm very lucky to have a live in fisherman who helped with this step!
- Lasting tie or super glue the magnet to the end of the fishing line.
The magnet connects with the metal disks in the fishes mouths.
Lastly, I cut out a small piece of blue felt in the shape of a puddle to look like the fish were swimming in the puddle.
My nephew loved this gift and it is also pretty durable so hopefully it will last longer than a few weeks!
- The Hippie Housewife