DOTA Slayer guide (item strategy)
- More mana is always nice, but Lina the Slayer will have enough of it at the end of the game. There's no need to worry about it at all unless you buy a refresher.
- I've never seen a DPS Lina that did well outside of DOTA pub games. Give it a shot if you'd like, but it's seriously not recommended.
A renowned pyromancer romaing the lands, Lina Inverse originally joined the Sentinel for monetary purposes. With her devastating abilities to summon vaporizing flames, she wreaks havoc among the enemy ranks. In dire situations, she would imbue herself with an ultimate fervor, or even call forth a massive beam of lightning which is said to instantly slay any single foe. A most feared enemy of the Scourge, a most unswerving defender of the Sentinel.
First off, we're assuming that you're already familiar with the slayer hero. If you're not, take a look at the Lina hero guide page here for more information.
I personally recommend the heart + shiva combo but it always depends who you're up against. Here's some items commonly seen on the Slayer, with thoughts:
- Shiva's Guard: Always nice later in the game. It adds another nuke to Lina's arsenal (which slows!), and more armor to keep DPS characters from quickly obliterating her. Best combined with a Bloodstone and a Heart of Tarrasque if you're playing easy mode.
- Orchid Malevolence: Can you say ouch? Amplifies the damage of all your spells and silences someone. What's not to love?
- Aghanim's Scepter: Gives your attributes a tiny bonus and boosts your ultimate. Is it worth it? Not always. Skip it unless you're playing against low health DOTA heros who are extremely vulnerable to your nuking.
- Guinsoo: You can't go wrong with it. Turning people into sheeps will often have a big effect on a battle, especially if the Slayer's heroic friends are nearby casting it too.
- Null Talisman: Often seen at the start of the game, but does more intelligence even matter before you have laguna? I've always found Bracers (which raise health) to be much more useful.
- Eul's Scepter: Good for running around and aiming your Light Strike Arrays properly when people are retreating/for a quick gank. Cast it as the cyclone fades away to always land. I rarely see these in DOTA games, and highly recommend thinking about purchasing one.
- Bloodstone: Only a good choice if you'll be getting plenty of kills. Otherwise, the Heart will help you regenerate much more and give you around 500 additional health. However, it's a good item to make if you're going for an Agh/Refresher or Linken combo.
- Refresher Orb: Lets you ultimate twice. This is quite devastating with how much DPS the slayer's laguna blade does! However, it's also an extreme mana hog. Never rush this.