Forgotten Childhood Games
I bet if you asked your child to teach you how to play Hopscotch he or she would probably look at you like a deer at a set of headlights. LOL! I might be putting a date on myself, but I, and some of you, remember those old time games. Oh what fun we had. How many parents have taken the time to sit down and make a list of the childhood games they used to play and how to play them? You might think, why should I do that? You would be pleasantly surprised that your child just might want to hear what you used to do as a child, what games you played, and where you spent your time as a child. It would be fun to play some of your childhood games with your child. So with that said, let's take a look at some forgotten children's games, or should I say games that most children of today rarely play.
- Jack Stone
- Hop Scotch
- Musical Chairs
- Duck, Duck, Goose
- Dodge Ball
- Red Rover
- Double Dutch
- Hang Man
- Stick Ball
- Chinese Checkers
Listing these games sure brought back some memories. So what's the point? Do you see any techie gadgets mentioned? Did some of you even think about a techie gadget, except a TV? What do these games have in common?
- They take two or more people to play.
- They take laughing with a childhood friend or friends.
- They take learning how to lose like a good sport.
- They take having to run, jump, reach, kick, and learning how to coordinate.
- They take working as a team.
- The items needed to play these games are inexpensive, e.g., balls, jacks, marbles
- Most of these childhood games can be played outdoors - the fresh air was and is great
- One of the best things about these games is that they take NO electricity.
What a great idea to have game night at a local community center, church or clubhouse and the only games allowed were some of these forgotten childhood games.
If any of you know of a game not listed please comment and I will put it on the list.