Grand Theft Auto V Walkthrough: Fair Game
Location: Paleto Forest
Unlocked After: Target Practice
Trevor clearly needs to let off some steam, and Cletus seems like just the guy for recommending things Trevor will enjoy. Last time it was shooting satellites, cars and coyotes; this time, they take up the fine sport of elk hunting. How will Trevor fare when his targets can smell him coming a mile away? (Perhaps literally?)
- Hop in a car and drive out to Paleto Forest. (You might want to save this mission for a trip out to Sandy Shores to do something else. This place is a loooooong drive from Los Santos.)
- Approach Cletus, off to the side of the lumberjack statue.
- Follow Cletus out into the forest. He'll give you a rundown on how to track elk. Make sure you go into Stealth Mode once Cletus begins the hunting session for real.
- Note the circle marked on your map. This is the area where you'll find the elk.
- The first elk is easy enough to hunt, though you'll need a bit more visibility to confirm your shot. Move up the slope a little bit so you can fire at a verified animal.
- Blow the diaphragm to target the elk on the map. Move along the periphery of the circle, continuing to blow to mark your progress, until you're no longer upwind of the creature. Once it's in plain sight, take your shot.
- Listen to Cletus talk until he says something about a mating pair. Blow the whistle, then head towards the path to your right. You'll see two elk, one male and one female, run down the path and up onto a small hill. They'll begin grazing here. Walk onto the path and wander along it until you find a good place to target the elk. Make sure you only shoot the male! You'll fail if you hit the female!
- The last elk is on you. Check the other side of the trail, continuing to blow the diaphragm, until you spot the elk. Nail it.
- Take a picture and send it to Cletus. This will unlock hunting as an activity for Trevor. You can make some decent money doing this, though don't expect it to make you rich overnight.
Gold Medal Completion
Downwind - Don't be detected by the elk. Watch the direction of the wind at all times. If it's not on your favor, stay away from nearby elk. Move around them until you find a more opportune spot.
Heart Hunter - Kill three elk with a heart shot. Tough, given the angles you have to work with, but doable if you're patient. Move around the elk until you can get a shot at its chest.