League of Legends - Guides to Wards and Map Awareness
Importance of Warding
Map awareness is one of the most important tools in playing League of Legends. The gameplay is based on a fog of war, which means you cannot see the enemy champions unless they step into zones of sight provided by your team, your minions, or your turrets. All players should develop a habit of glancing over the minimap once every few seconds or so to spot the locations of the enemy champions. If one or many of the enemy champions are missing, or MIA, you should be extremely careful as they might be ganking other lanes, invading your jungle area, or taking global objectives such as baron or dragon. Therefore, providing as much sight areas on the map as possible seems like a logical conclusion. Some tools to help you achieve such goals are little things called wards. Also, if one of your teammates is running clairvoyance as a summoner spell, ask them for help to check bush and other areas to try to spot for enemy champions.
Sight Ward - 75 G
Places an invisible ward with 1100 range. Lasts 3 minutes.
This is the general ward that you will want to buy to give vision in certain areas.
Vision Ward - 125 G
Places an invisible ward with 1000 range Magical Sight (can see invisible units). Lasts 3 minutes.
This ward, also more commonly known as the pink ward, can be used to see invisible champions such as Evelynn and Twitch, as well as other invisible units such as enemy wards and Teemo's mushrooms.
Some suggested areas for putting wards
I was going to make my own map and draw the ward locations, but gave up after seeing this wonderful creation on the internet. I suggest you to download the pictures, print them out, and just tape them on your desk.
Other general tips for warding
- You can teleport to wards. When used effectively, you can turn a gank into a counter gank by outnumbering the enemy simply by teleporting to wards.
- Similarly, some abilities such as Katarina's Shunpo allows you to jump onto allied wards to run away or catch escaping enemies.
- Wriggle's Lantern's active also allows you to place a ward every 3 minutes. Combining with its passive, which has a bonus chance of dealing extra damage to minions or monsters, makes Wriggle's Lantern an extremely strong item for junglers.
- Oracle's Elixir gives its carrier vision of nearby invisible units. If you notice that your wards are dying sooner than expected, there is a high chance that your enemy team has bought an elixir to kill wards.
- Keep in mind that both the wards and the oracle's elixir does take up an item slot in your inventory until you use it, so make sure you have an empty slot.
- Most people just don't have the habit of warding. While it is definitely unfair for your part to buy all the wards, don't be shy to ask your team to take turns to buy wards.
- Since both teams will try to place wards at baron and dragon, it will be useful to use a visible (pink) ward at these locations to reveal enemy wards and give your team the advantage of sight at these areas.
Other League of Legends guides
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Amumu, the Sad Mummy
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Ashe, the Frost Archer
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Miss Fortune, the Bounty Hunter
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Heimerdinger, the Revered Inventor
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Tristana, the Megling Gunner
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Janna, the Storm's Fury
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Leona, the Radiant Dawn
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Lux, the Lady of Luminosity
- League of Legends - Tips for Playing Annie, the Dark Child