- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Collecting & Collections
Star Wars Chess Saga Edition
Made available in 2004, the Star Wars Saga Chess set from Hasbro is one of the highly sought and, now, rare collectible for Star Wars fans. Since they are so hard to find, they get sold quickly on eBay. Thus, if you ever get your hands on one of them, then you should keep it in the best condition possible. Some owners even suggest not playing with them. Instead, just collect them and keep them in a safe place for show.
Pieces of the Star Wars Saga Chess Set
Here's what you get, remember it's the Jedis and their allies versus the Empire and the Dark Side of the Force:
The Dark Side
In black, of course:
- King is Emperor Palpatine in his famous pose from Return of the Jedi.
- Queen is Darth Vader wielding a lightsaber. He was the Emperor's bitch after all.
- Bishops are General Grievous with dual lightsaber and a Magna Guard (General Grievous' bodyguard) with an electrostaff.
- Knights are Jango Fett and Boba Fett. Yeah baby!
- Rooks are Count Dooku and Darth Maul with a double-bladed lightsaber and high-kicking.
- Pawns are Stormtroopers kneeling while firing blasters.
The Jedi Knights and Friends
The good guys are in silver:
- King is flying or jumping Yoda.
- Queen is a bearded Obi-Wan Kenobi. This is getting interesting.
- Bishops are the twins, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker.
- Knights are Han Solo in a shooting position and Chewbacca with a bowcaster.
- Rooks are C3P0/R2D2 in one piece and Padme.
- Pawns are kneeling Republic Clone Troopers.
The pieces are plastic which make these chess sets appropriate gifts for children ages 8 and up. Perhaps an encouragement to take a break from video games and learn some good ole fashion strategy. Maybe some day, they'll make a version with pewter figure and marble board. Imagine how much those will go for.