- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games»
- Video Game Consoles»
- Nintendo Consoles
Top 5 Best Nintendo Wii U Games in 2015
Despite being left out in the cold by both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, Nintendo's Wii U still has a lot of charm to boot and is a really wonderful gaming device for those who knows how to appreciate it. Nintendo consoles have always been reputable for having great exclusives that appeals to a wide variety of gamers. Here are some of the best games for the Nintendo Wii U that you must buy if you own this console!
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U is the ultimate Smash Bros game ever made by Nintendo. I am still pretty amazed how Nintendo manages to improve on each game in the series. It has an 8 player mode (a first for a fighting game I think, the next closest will the the classic Power Stone, also an arena fighting game by Capcom) that is just simply crazy. With an expanded rooster, Nintendo still manages to provide great attention to the animation and detail of each of the characters. They look simply amazing and gorgeous.
The game is also a showcase of what the Wii U hardware is capable of - graphically. It provides great visual appeal, in full HD (1080p) at 60 FPS, despite all the frantic action going on at once. However, what really makes Super Smash Bros. series gaming classics are not their crisp graphics but how fun it is to play on your own; especially with family and friends. It also has amiibo support by using the Wii U gamepad if you are into them. As of the time of writing, it has a Metacritic average of 94/100!
Mario Kart 8
Having played Mario Kart 7 on the Nintendo 3DS, I was astounded when I first booted up Mario Kart for the Wii u - the graphics simply look gorgeous in high definition! All 32 tracks (16 classic ones and 16 totally new ones) look beautiful and unique. Graphics aside, you can expect the same racing goodness that the Mario Kart series is well known for. Again, it is amazing how Nintendo churns out improvements game after game in the series; even the minuscule ones are icing on the cake for the already wonderful gameplay. You can just use about any controller that can be used on the Wii U - it even supports the gyroscope on the Wii U's gamepad. This game is best played with other human players, making it a great game for parties. New players can pick and learn the game easily while veterans will definitely enjoy the new game in the series.
Super Mario Maker
Undoubtedly, Nintendo games exudes creativity and the Japanese gaming company is widely acclaimed to be a very innovative one. With the new Super Mario Maker, Nintendo is now encouraging gamers to exercise their own creativity by creating their own Super Mario levels and sharing them with gamers all over the world. Nintendo themselves has created some exclusive levels which are never seen before as well.
By utilising the touch capabiltiies on the gamepad and pre-defined templates, creating levels could not have been made easier. If you are not keen into the idea of designing and building your own levels, you can simply download and play those made by other players all over the world. Levels can be made from the themes of the different gaming eras, from the 8-bit pixel art of the NES generation to the latest New Super Mario Bros U. For the Super Mario fan, you will now have access to an infinite supply of levels to plow through. Simply put, this is like the Minecraft of platformers and a dream come true (for all ages of gamers).
Nintendo and first person shooters don't seem to fit in a single sentence. Since Golden Eye for the Nintendo 64, there does not seem to be a captivating and unique FPS on its consoles for a long time. Splatoon proves critics and gamers wrong as it is not just a good shooter but a top tier one along the ranks of Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield etc. Beneath its cartoony looks lies great gameplay, unique personality and charm.
The player play takes the role as an Inkling who has the ability to switch between human and squid modes, In the human form, the player uses your gun to shoot ink. The ink dispensed can be utlitzed in squid form to traverse the environment, which is really fun and innovative concept. Despite it sounding kiddish, trust me, it is really not. It is like a combination of a 3D platformer with a shooter in an arena where players duke it out. If you are looking for an online game for your Wii U, look no further as Splatoon will providing hours of stain free fun.
New Super Mario Bros. U
I would say that it is a close fight between New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World. Both are great games in their own right, but New Super Mario Bros. U offers a new take on the classic Mario series - multiplayer with support up to 5 players. Moreover, I still believe the Mario formula works best in 2D. Despite the rave on multiplayer, you can still play alone in single player and the experience is still as great as ever. You can expect the same ramping difficulty as you progress from world to world. The attention to details is again peerless - Nintendo managed to combine every good thing from previous Mario games and created this masterpiece. There are about 8 main worlds, with each one comprising of 8 levels. Any Mario or platforming fan should definitely not miss out this gem on the Wii U.
Nintendo really has a lot of hidden gems and exclusives that you will not be able to find elsewhere. Other than the list above, here are some of the other great games for the Wii U that I wholeheartedly recommend.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - First launched on Gamecube back in 2002, this is a remake with improved graphics and several new features. Now you can traverse the oceans in full 1080p glory. You can even play it exclusively on the GamePad without the TV!
- ZombiU - This is a special game - people either love it or hate it. Most people don't get it. If you love survival horror (read: not a shooter, not Resident Evil, not Walking Dead), it is a must-have. It is also one of the first games to make use of the GamePad effectively.
- Bayonetta 2 - Combo-oriented action game which allows you to kick ass in style. It's like the Devil May Cry game for the Wii U but better. It's hard to imagine a heavily (sometimes) sexualized female character being portrayed in a Nintendo exclusive game. Beyond the fantastic action gameplay which oozes style, the soundtrack is pretty damn awesome too.
- Hyrule Warriors - Dynasty Warriors in the World of Zelda. If slaying hundreds and thousands of enemies is your thing, this is a really great action game with a solid rooster of characters from the Zelda universe.
- Wonderful 101 - This game is difficult to describe. To cut it short, this game has pretty visuals, action packed, downright funny at times and full of style. Famitsu Japan gave this game a score of 39/40 and it is really a special game that action fans cannot miss.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X - Yet to be released at the time of writing but has been receiving raving previews and longed for. If you like to pilot, customize and fight in giant mechs while exploring a large open world, this is the game for you.