jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can we save power by playing games offline?

1. aslanlight profile image72
    aslanlightposted 6 years ago

Can we save power by playing games offline?

I enjoy playing games on the computer and wonder if I play offline games so I'm not using the internet will my computer save power?

I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint and save money.

2. nycgrl profile image79
    nycgrlposted 6 years ago

I don't think so because the whole point is the computer is still on and plugged into the wall.  Turning off the computer and playing with real cards or real board games is what will really reduce your carbon footprint and save you loads on your electricity bill.  If you don't want to turn the computer completely off just be sure to turn off the monitor when you are done (or if its a laptop put it in sleep mode and close it).  The monitor is what really eats up the electricity as opposed to the CPU (the computer itself)

3. aslanlight profile image72
    aslanlightposted 6 years ago

Thanks, that's very helpful! When I turn the laptop of unless I turn it off at the wall it still has lights lit but my previous laptops seemed to turn completely off. I wonder why?

4. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

Every single bit of electricity you save is a cost saving. Right now I'm turning off my computer, that will save costs too. Thanks for the tip aslanlight!

5. Robertj64 profile image70
    Robertj64posted 6 years ago

Hi aslanlight

I answered you on my hub

http://hubpages.com/hub/Corner-Hub-Thur … -12th-2011

Good to see you again.

6. theonlyguyat profile image51
    theonlyguyatposted 6 years ago

In reply to NYCgirl, you're on a good track with your answer, but that's not entirely accurate. My PC's GPU and CPU consume quite a bit of power at load, because I play real, demanding games, not just casual Facebook games. The power draw is very different from those types of games.

Of course, playing games offline will not have an appreciable dent in your electricity. The only way that would make a difference would be if you were to shut off your Internet equipment while playing games offline: the modem, the wireless router, and any other things using the internet connection.

7. profile image0
    ghiblipgposted 6 years ago

for sure it will safe power. But I am not sure how much it will safe. However if everyone in www doing it. I believe it will save a lot, since any small number multiply with billions...it will be a significant number smile

working