jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think is the future of video game distribution?

1. Khal Blogo profile image61
    Khal Blogoposted 5 years ago

What do you think is the future of video game distribution?

Will it look like Steam? Like GOG? Maybe like Humble Bundle?

2. Raziel117 profile image66
    Raziel117posted 5 years ago

I think it'll be like Steam. Although that will suck for people who only play game consoles.

3. j-u-i-c-e profile image97
    j-u-i-c-eposted 5 years ago

Cloud gaming. (Ex: OnLive.) Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc., will continue to have their own services with exclusive titles and continue to sell consoles and accessories. The only difference will be the elimination of hard-copy and the use of cloud services instead of digital download. You will probably see more publishers with dedicated services, too, like EA's Origin.

That's a guess, anyway. Not really my area of expertise.

4. GamerAinion profile image88
    GamerAinionposted 5 years ago

I would imagine something very similar to Steam where there is a central hub for digital distributions. There would be several different hubs under different company names but Steam looks like it its going to be the biggest contender in the market for new games while allowing other companies to take older or differently styled games.

As for console distribution, Its probably going to stay the same in merchandise stores... Although the fact that you can't replay future games on different consoles does worry me a little.