jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Would you be upset if your child decided they wanted to become a professional ga

1. cydro profile image88
    cydroposted 4 years ago

Would you be upset if your child decided they wanted to become a professional gamer?

Avg annual income right now is around $12K-$30K, but is growing...I have my reservations for "major league gaming" to even exist.

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 4 years ago

Assuming you mean video games, I can only say that anything is possible as long as people would be willing to watch.

3. heeyoo profile image59
    heeyooposted 4 years ago

The professional gaming industry will only grow in the next years so if he/she possesses the skill and determination to reach the top then by all means support your child with anything and everything you can provide.

4. BraidedZero profile image91
    BraidedZeroposted 4 years ago

MLG is pretty huge already and as heeyoo said it's going to keep growing over the next few years. If your child isn't good then he should abandon the attempt, or at least train up some before he tries it. People who play MLG are practicing for hours upon hours every day. Starcraft MLG players average about 20 to 30 games a day, and that's at about 15 to 20 minutes per game. So it's a serious sport (yes I said it, sport!). But you have to give it all you have. I watched an MLG tournament the other night for Starcraft where the 1st prize winner took home $25k. After a weekend of playing video games. 2nd place took home $15k. 3rd took home $10k. And it kept decreasing until 10th place.

5. TNT Husky profile image71
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

I'd already be siding with them, having grown up with video games, and not exactly knowing much more. I would still want them to have their scholarly necessities (not sure how else to put that, but you know, a little work experience in other fields, make sure they finish school, all that stuff.) If they had the determination to get into MLG, I'd definitely be happy.

6. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Not at all. Try to get him to talk to other gamers, professional gamers. How do they spend their days? How much they make? What the job really involves? Where do their clients come from? Etc. Get them in the business, see if it really is for them. Talk to him about it. Kids usually change their minds. Even in college, the average student changes their major two or three times. Luckily, mine was only once. If he is before college, there is a definate possibility he will change his mind at some point.

7. sm825 profile image59
    sm825posted 4 years ago

If they are serious about it I would let them, since being a professional gamer can make some good money with the rise of more competitive games being released lately.

If they also wanted to they could become a YouTube commentator and could possibly make money from there as well if they are unable to become a professional gamer.

Let us say the average per thousand views is $2, and a decent Youtube commentator with a few hundred to 1000 video would get around 500,000 views a month. That would get you about $1,000 a month, and about $12,000 a year.

However YouTube video game commentators with several thousand videos tend to get anywhere from 1,000,000 - 4,000,000 views a month which would be $2,000 to $8,000 a month. Which would get you about $24,000 to $96,000 a year. If you are dedicated and provide decent, useful or unique content, and update frequently you could make a pretty good income gaming.

8. Grab a Controller profile image73
    Grab a Controllerposted 4 years ago

Absolutely not! That was actually my dream job for a while. Okay, scratch that, it still is. I'm going to school for video game design and I want to do everything in the industry. If your child is serious about it, just embrace it and support them.