jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it worth it to do LP's of very common/popular games?

1. AM Hanson profile image79
    AM Hansonposted 4 years ago

Is it worth it to do LP's of very common/popular games?

I'm currently working on getting started as a Let's Player on YouTube, and there are a few games that I want to do but I'm not sure about, because you see them EVERYWHERE.  Games like Amnesia or the Walking Dead (the Telltale Games point & click one) are games that I'd love to do Let's Plays for, but it almost doesn't seem worth it.  I feel like people would pass up my videos and go with a more well-known LPer like PewDiePie.  However, I do really enjoy these games, so I also feel that to not do an LP simply because "everyone else has done it already" would be a lame excuse.  Is it worth it?

2. heeyoo profile image60
    heeyooposted 4 years ago

Try to do LP's about games that you like and enjoy. Going in this business strictly for the views/money won't work. The important part is to add your own personality to these LP's and try not to imitate the other famous guys. People will come for your personality and sense of humor rather than a cheap imitation of guys that are already out there.

3. sm825 profile image60
    sm825posted 4 years ago

I would say do both popular, non popular games for lets plays.

Reason is the popular lets play draw in the crowd, and may see a LP of a game they like, but have never heard of before. This may draw them into becoming a regular to watching your videos.

4. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years ago

If you have something to say, by all means do LPs. Make sure it's a game you know about and have a lot to talk about. Discuss the story, what's currently going on, what your reaction is to things. PewDiePie didn't become well known because he talked about his day at work (I'd hope), and it's not like he was the first Let's Play(er) to become a hit on the internet. It's totally up to you whether it's worth the time to edit, record and shoot your own let's plays.