jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you feel about the influx of 'reboots' of older games in 2014/2015?

1. JohnGreasyGamer profile image85
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 3 years ago

How do you feel about the influx of 'reboots' of older games in 2014/2015?

I say influx when there's actually only a handful but I haven't heard many people say they need some games on next generation consoles (and even on 'current' gen ones). I would say a game like Skyrim is needed but only because there's no RPGs I know of on either of the latest consoles or at least any at this moment. "Coming soon" I'm afraid is not good enough.

Here's another question also: Do you think they should be priced at $60 on release because it's a port, or do you believe it should be less because it's just an older game on a newer system? Thanks in advance for commenting!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9044276_f260.jpg

2. Sean Valjean profile image84
    Sean Valjeanposted 3 years ago

Well, the Halo Master Chief Collection isn't a reboot at all. It's just, well, a collection and it's actually a steal at $60. I think mean "port" instead of reboot, as the latter suggests a new game entirely.

I don't mind it too much as long as they're still plenty of actual new-gen games in the mix. It's also a person-by-person basis. For example, I haven't played the campaigns of any Halo title except Reach so the upcoming collection is perfect for me. I completed The Last of Us when it launched, but that was a roommates copy. I'd been meaning to buy the game myself, but now with the PS4 version, I may as well get that one and have a prettier version of it.

The same goes for downloadable games like Trine 2 and Pixeljunk shooter. Both had been on my to-get list forever on PS3, but now that I have the option of playing them on PS4, why not play them on a better system with a superior controller? But that's just me and this stuff likely won't appeal to anyone who isn't in my situation.

Has far as pricing, it depends. If it includes extra stuff, such as DLC that had already been released on the original version, then another $60 isn't too bad. But that depends on the game and the content in question. If it's simply a prettier port that adds nothing to the original package, you could argue that it should be a bit cheaper but, again, it depends on the game in question.

3. Katrina Speights profile image76
    Katrina Speightsposted 3 years ago

I don't mind as long as they do it justice. If it's really just a patch job and they want full price it isn't worth it. That being said, I just bought the PS3. I usually wait for the next system to come out before buying because of the lack of games in the beginning. It also has to do with the price of getting everything when it first hits the shelves. Like with Skyrim, I bought the legendary edition for $30 on amazon.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I honestly don't mind video game reboots. I didn't get to experience the first metal gear solid until it was remade on the GameCube. So, it's a good way to introduce the classics to a new generation of gamers. And the ones that I don't want to play again, I just don't buy.

working