jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Where on earth did cos-play come from?

1. daborn7 profile image77
    daborn7posted 3 years ago

Where on earth did cos-play come from?

I am slightly familiar with Cos-play, I mean I know its roleplaying, but is that the extent of it, and where did it come from?

2. skperdon profile image86
    skperdonposted 3 years ago

It's hard to believe, with all the Japanese character costumes seen everywhere these days, that cosplay started out in America. The term "Cos-play" was coined by a Japanese reporter from two words "costume" and "play".

daborn7posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that makes so much sense, and I never even thought of it that way. I assumed it was of Japanese origin as well. Thanks for sharing!

3. Theophanes profile image98
    Theophanesposted 3 years ago

My guess would be it came from games like Dungeons and Dragons or really popular sci-fi and fantasy like Star Trek, etc. I could be wrong... but that'd be where I'd start looking.

Of course if I wanted to be funny about it I'd say it all started with a wad of duct tape, some cloth, and an idea but hey, you get the point.

Lol, yes Theo, I get it! haha.. sounds right. Thanks smile

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

It probably has roots much further back than television and table top gaming. If anything, I would attribute Halloween as one of the primary sources since it encourages people to dress up as different characters. I don't know when Halloween started incorporating non-spooky costumes, but I definitely think it was one of the primary influences for modern cos-play.

It does make sense that it was encouraged by Halloween. I always wondered that about it too. Thats a whole other subject though.. Thanks for sharing smile

working