StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
Sequel to the Cult Classic RTS Game
Starcraft II is a sequel of the wildly popular, award-winning RTS game especially known for it's excellent balance between the three races that made the game so popular in various esports tournaments. SC2 continues the epic saga of the Terran, Protoss and Zerg and offers awesome 3D graphics, advanced physics engine, improved single player experience and new multiplayer features such as a replay function and a competitive ladder system on Battle.net. You can find more information about the game, SCII screenshots, concept art and trailers on the page below.
Starcraft 2 builds on the success of the original game by taking the best elements from Starcraft and improving them further. It has a lot more single-player content, better multiplayer features, next generation graphics and new units and buildings. All the while it is playable on as broad range of systems as possible, and multiplayer balance, like with the first Starcraft, is one of the Blizzard's top priorities. SC2 is surely one of the most fun, challenging and competitive game of the year.
- The epic saga continues: enter the Starcraft universe four years after the events in Brood War. Play with the familiar characters like Zeratul, Arcturus Mengsk, Artanis, Sarah Kerrigan, and Jim Raynor as well as new ones like Tychus Findlay or Matt Horner. Revisit Char, Braxis and Mar Sara and discover new worlds like the jungle planet Bel'Shir. Learn the secrets of Xel'Naga, an ancient space-faring race responsible for creating the Protoss and the Zerg.
- More single-player fun: each part of the Starcraft 2 trilogy contains 26 to 30 unique and detailed missions. Every campaign functions differently: the Terran chapter Wings of Liberty has a mercenary style gameplay with rebel Jim Raynor performing missions for cash. The Zerg campaign Heart of the Swarm has RPG elements where the player can level up Kerrigan throughout the game. In the Protoss campaign Legacy of the Void the character Zeratul uses diplomacy between Protoss tribes to acquire units and technologies for each mission.
- Even better multiplayer: the game focuses heavily on multiplayer aspect, offering a replay function and a competitive ladder on Battle.net that helps match up players of similar skill for online play. Achieving a perfect balance between different races and play strategies is Blizzard's top priority.
- Improved campaign editor: a sophisticated campaign editor will allow players to create custom maps and mods and will include even units from the original which are unavailable in Starcraft 2 multiplayer.
- Superb graphics: the game uses DirectX 9 Pixel Shader 2.0 effects and looks incredible while still being compatible with less capable systems to ensure hassle-free game play for as broad a player base as possible.
- Advanced physics: Havok physics engine (same one as used in Half-Life 2!) stunningly delivers realistic environmental effects, such as debris rolling down a ramp.
- Non-linear missions: improved single-player gameplay gives players more choices. The storyline is linear, but you can get there using different means.
- New units and bulldings: the game has approximately the same number of units like the original. Some units are returning, many with new upgrades and abilities. Others are getting replaced with brand new ones. There are a lot of exciting new abilities, such as short-distance teleport and a WarpGate building for Protoss that allows to warp in some units.
As a newer game, SC2 requires a reasonably powerful computer to play. During intense multiplayer matches with hundreds of units on screen, a powerful CPU becomes increasingly important.
Minimum System Requirements
PC: WinXP/Vista/Windows 7 /w DirectX 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT or ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
Mac: Mac OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT or ATI Radeon X1600 or better
Both: 12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista/Windows 7 users, 2 GB for Mac users)
Broadband Internet connection
1024x720 minimum display resolution
PC: Windows Vista/Windows 7
Dual Core 2.4 Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon HD 3870
Mac: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or ATI Radeon HD 4670 or better
Starcraft 2 Screenshot
Starcraft 2 Concept Art
Starcraft 2 Trailer
Ghosts of the Past, an extended trailer released as the final unlockable reward.
Rate the Game
How would you rate the game?
Starcraft II received highly positive reviews from the critics, and gamers weren't far behind with praise. The game's combined score at MetaCritic, for example, is an impressive 93.