10 Asthma Natural Remedies for Asthma Treatment At Home
Asthma is a long lasting disease caused by the malfunction of the respiratory system. The airways of the asthma patient will become narrower because of some inflammation and this inflammation will obstruct the free passage of air while breathing. When a patient is suffering from breathing difficulty, that means that his/her lungs is not getting the sufficient amount of oxygen for its normal functioning. Continuous suffering of asthma attack will deteriorate the health of the patient and he/she will be forced to lead an inactive life.
The group of muscles that surround the airways become tighten in asthma patients because of some allergic substances, cold or respiratory viruses. This makes the breathing difficult and the tightened airways cause a whistling sound (wheezing) at the time of breathing. The airways of asthma patients are very sensitive and they will instantly react to the slightest provocation of any triggers. The bronchial tubes of asthma patients will become swollen and this will cause damage to the lungs if asthma symptoms continue for a long time without any control.
Asthma Explained Clearly
Asthma makes breathing difficult. Asthma causes may be infections (cold or flu etc.), tobacco smoke, exercises, allergens (dust, pet dander etc.), adverse weather conditions, some drugs (aspirin etc.) or emotional disturbances. People who have a family history of asthma have an increased risk of asthma attack. Smoking habit will accelerate the disease.
Difficulty in breathing and the wheezing sound while breathing are the common symptoms of asthma. Shortness of breath, chest tightness and coughing at night are the other symptoms.
Asthma Types & Asthma Treatment
Different types of asthma are classified and some of them are allergic asthma, work-related asthma, cough-variant asthma and nighttime asthma.
Asthma is more widespread among children now. The statistics show that childhood asthma has been more than doubled since 1980. Common asthma symptoms that prevailed among children are:
- Frequent coughing during play or at night
- Shallow breathing
- Slowness in activities and tendency to catch breath during plays
- Whistling sound while breathing
- Loss of breath or shortness of breath
- Weak nature and less energy
Asthma treatment means the better management of the disease. There is no complete cure or sudden cure for this disease. Medications will help to get control over asthma; especially the relief inhalers which are very helpful to get quick relief. But long term use of allopathic medicines, particularly the inhalers which are using corticosteroid as its main content are very harmful for the health of the patient. Long term use of the corticosteroid inhalers will weaken the bones and slow down the growth process in children.
It is a better option is to try some natural remedies and to adopt some changes in the lifestyle to control asthma. In severe cases of asthma hospitalization is necessary and the use of drugs are inevitable to normalize the breathing; but after overcoming the problematic stage, start to use some natural remedies that are available in your home itself for avoiding further asthma attacks.
Asthma Natural Remedies
10 Asthma Natural Remedies for Asthma Treatment
Many natural remedies are available for the treatment of asthma that is not harmful to the health. Most of these asthma natural remedies are available in the home itself, so it will help you to save a good amount of money that is spending to buy corticosteroid inhalers and drugs. Some natural products that can be used for the treatment of asthma are given below:
- GINGER: Ginger will help to reduce the airway inflammation and prevent the contraction of the airways. Ginger can be used in many ways. Eat raw ginger mixed with salt or mix one teaspoon of ground ginger + one and half a cup of water and drink it (one tablespoon) before bedtime or make a mixture of ginger juice + pomegranate juice + honey and consume one tablespoon of this mixture three times a day.
- HONEY: Honey is an effective natural remedy for asthma. Drink a mixture of one teaspoon of honey + half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder at night before sleeping. Honey can also be consumed by mixing it with hot water.
- EUCALYPTUS OIL: Eucalyptol in the eucalyptus oil helps to break up the mucus. Inhale eucalyptus oil by mixing two or three drops of oil in a bowl of boiling water. Keep a paper towel with a few drops of eucalyptus oil near your head while sleeping.
- ONIONS: Onions have anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the airway passages. Eat more onions by making salads or by cooking with vegetables.
- CLOVE: Clove is a good asthma remedy. Boil 5 or 6 cloves in half a glass of water and add a spoon of honey. Drink this mixture twice a day for better results.
- GARLIC: Garlic helps to clear the congestion in the lungs. Boil three cloves of garlic in one-quarter of milk and drink it after cooling.
- FIGS: Figs helps to drain phlegm and lessen the breathing difficulties. Use dried figs for asthma treatment; soak three dried figs in a bowl of water in the night and eat this soaked figs in the morning on an empty stomach. Do not forget to drink the fig water also.
- COFFEE: Caffeine acts as a bronchodilator and gives relief from asthma attacks. Strong hot coffee helps to clear the airways also. Do not drink more than three cups of coffee in a single day.
- MUSTARD OIL: Mustard oil will help to clear the airway passages. Heat mustard oil with camphor and rub it on the chest, while it is warm, and gently massage several times to get relief.
- LEMONS AND OTHER FRUITS: Lemon contains vitamin C in large quantity and it is an effective remedy for asthma. Drink a glass of lemon water daily. Other fruits like oranges, strawberries, papaya etc. are also beneficial to asthma patients.
How to Manage Asthma under Control
Asthma can become severe sometimes and then the patient finds it is difficult to breathe and feel tightness in the chest accompanied by cough in some cases. Usage of inhaler is effective in such cases because it will give immediate relief to the breathing problem.
Living with and Managing Asthma
- Do not become panic at the time of asthma attack, otherwise it will lead to more complications. Try to stay calm and concentrate on the procedure of breathing with closed eyes. Drink a strong cup of coffee to expand your airways.
- If you have frequent attacks of asthma, you should be more alert about the asthma triggers.
- Give up the habit of smoking.
- Cover your face and mouth with a warm cloth in cold weather.
- Do not eat food just before going to sleep.
- Avoid medicines that can trigger asthma and consult your doctor for advice.
- Use a Peak Flow Meter to measure the PEF value and keep a diary to note the details of the disease. You should write in this diary about the regular symptoms that you are suffering at the time asthma attacks, the details of the drugs you are taking and also the PEF numbers for future reference.
Best method to control asthma is to know more about the disease and to understand the effective ways to keep it under control. Ignorance will cause fear and a panic and this situation will bring more health problems. You must make an asthma action plan to fight against this disease. You should be aware about the common triggers that will initiate asthma attack in you and be prepared to take immediate and effective steps against such attacks. Continuous treatment using allopathic medicines is harmful to your health, so it is better to try some natural remedies to keep the asthma under control.