10 ways to NOT take life for granted
Too often do we as people do this in life, which is taking things for granted. Sometimes it is our significant other, our children, our health, jobs, etc. I am no one to say anything different, I am guilty of all these things myself. The trick is catching yourself doing it, and stopping it before it gets out of hand and by that time it may be too late. I am not going to go on and on about things, because I think you get what I mean by this. I have devised a top 10 list on ways to NOT take your life for granted, forgive me if you don't agree with the numbering, one is not necessarily more important than the other, they all are very important to me.
10. Think of all the times you could have died but didn't. - A little morbid way to start things you say? Not at all. Look at it from the positive aspect. We have all had our brush with death, some closer than others, but assuming you are reading this.....you are probably alive. So congratulations. You made it this far in the game of life, never forget the times you almost lost it all, and be stronger knowing you passed it!
9. Don't miss new opportunities due to regretting the past. - I catch myself doing this a lot. It is a hard habit to break, but once you can forget the past you can move forward. We all have had something slip by us at some point, a great spouse, a great job, etc. Maybe it was your fault it didn't work out, maybe it wasn't, either way, you can't change it until time machines start being made. So stop dwelling on the past while current chances go right by you!
8. Do something you enjoy at least once a day. - Yeah, simple enough huh? But sometimes we get so caught in routines that we never do anything we enjoy and become robots controlled by the mundane lifestyle. We go to work everyday and do the same thing everyday and you forget that tomorrow is not guaranteed. Try to spice things up, whether its spending some time with someone you love or something you love doing, DO IT! Stop being a puppet!
7. Think positive thoughts, and feel positive energy. - Yeah, I am sure you have heard of, or seen "the secret". Whether or not you believe in it, It makes sense. You don't have to believe the universe will change things for you if you are positive, you can believe whatever you want to believe. If you dwell on negative energy and thoughts, your day will be a drag, It is your choice to make the best of every situation. Even if something bad happens, just think someone else is going through something 100 times worse than you at that moment. I mean, you will have to go through whatever it is anyway, why not brush it off and move on?
6. Have a child. - OK, I may get some backlash and/or praise for this one. If you don't want a child, then get a pet. All I know is ever since I had my son, it has changed my thinking. It gives you something to strive to do better for, it gives you purpose. It also gives you someone that loves you unconditionally, whether that is a baby looking up to you and loving you for being you, or it is a pet that is oblivious to how bad your breath is and still loves you regardless.
5. Be part of a great relationship. - I know this one is not always obtainable, but if you find it, keep it. Do not take a great relationship or spouse for granted. When they walk out the door you will be hurt. I have felt this many a times, but I got up and kept moving. And hey, if you don't have a great relationship with a person you are dating or married to, then have great relationships with friends or family. It is a sure fire way to stay happy and enjoy life when you enjoy the people that surround you!
4. Always try to speak your mind and say what you feel. - This once again is along the lines of being considered "morbid" to a negative minded person. But think about it, If someone you cared for or loved died tomorrow, or even you died, wouldn't it bother you that you never got to say what you wanted to say. This is an easy way to live a life of regret and I have been there. I wish I would have said things to people that have passed on in my life, but I can't, now it's too late. I try to avoid ever doing this again, because there is no day promised for us humans.
3. Do not let life pass you by. - Have you ever watched traffic pass by you or a plane fly over you and wish you were doing something important or fun like some of those people are? I know that I have had this feeling before. Sometimes I used to dwell on what other people were doing and make these fancy stories about the adventures they were on, while I sat at the bus stop doing nothing at all. Never do this, do what you want to do in life. If it feels good, and is not illegal or harmful, then do it!
2. Stop worrying about impressing others, Impress yourself. - You want those brand new sneakers, or that brand new car so that you can show what a "cool" person you are? You are worried about what people are whispering thinking it's about you? Who cares! Once you forget about impressing other people, especially strangers, you will have true fulfillment in your life. Why don't you impress yourself, lose that weight you have been trying to burn, get that new promotion at work you have wanted, and if you want that fancy car, then get it, if it for you, not for the status quo. This will change the way you live forever.
1. BE YOU. - Yea that's it. BE YOU. Do not wonder what life was like if you were Channing Tatum, or what it would be like dating him. Don't worry about it, because in the end you are all you have got. If you are in a hospital bed clinging to life, would you worry about material things? Would you worry about how someone else lives in a huge mansion? Chances are you will be thinking of the people you love, your life, and staying alive. Think about what's important now instead of waiting until last minute because by then its too late. So be yourself, whether it is out of the norm to others or not, that's what will make a lasting impression and fulfill your life.
If you agree, disagree, or have any other ideas, post them in the comments for me, I would love to hear what you think.