- Women's Health»
21 Natural Tips To Start Lactation After Childbirth
- During pregnancy and after childbirth, keep yourself
well hydrated by drinking at least 6 liters of fluids per day. Be it milk,
water, or juices.
- Good to have milk twice or thrice a day at home or in
- You can eat bread with milk.
- Natural herbs like soaked Methi eaten with curd or
Methi leaves curry helps in boosting lactation.
- Most important is to take some good protein
supplement twice a day, as this is what is essential for good milk
- In lactation, supply is always dependent on the
demand, so try to get your baby suckle as much as possible. It will send
signals to your brain and release hormones essential for providing milk to
- Physical bonding with the kid also plays an important
psychological role to start lactation. It will take time for the kid to
learn latching, which is due to nipple confusion but never lose hope as
your will be able to start lactating in very less time.
- A simple advice is to invest in a good breast pump
and try pumping milk every 1 to 1.5 hours and store it and you can give
your baby that milk in a bottle instead of leaving him/her hungry till
he/she gets that knack of latching. There are very good brands available
which resemble real baby sucking.
- Mother’s mood affects milk supply. If you are
depressed, it is not going to do good for your baby. Think positive. Be
confident. You can do it. It will be just a matter of sometime. Once your
flow is well established, there would not be any problem.
- As mentioned above natural herbs like fenugreek
leaves (methi) and seeds are proven to increase the milk supply after
childbirth. Also, a natural galactagogue herb Shatavari (Asparagus
racemosus) is known to be very helpful in increasing milk supply.
Shatavari is commercially available as Satavarex granules manufactured by
Zandu in India.
- Mother needs to be very determined and emotionally
- Don’t worry as even a few days old babies sometimes
just refuse to suck. Don’t give up.
- During pregnancy and childbirth, have a healthy and
balanced diet with lots of nutrition including proteins, calcium, and iron
in the diet with loads of water and lots of confidence. This will help in
the time when you need to start lactating.
- A true fact about breast-feeding and starting
lactation after childbirth is that even if the baby does not feed from the
breast, a little exposure is always better. Just a little licking and if
not, putting some of baby's saliva once a day before pumping is the best
way to start producing milk naturally. This is because the breast milk
will change its constituents according to the need of the child by
recognizing the saliva and will also add any antibodies that the child
needs at that present time.
- A natural remedy for increasing lactation is sooji
kheer. Just half a cup every day and it will help you a lot.
- Another natural tip is to eat fenugreek dish. Just a
couple spoons daily.
- If you don’t find fenugreek leaves, then you can
start drinking fenugreek tea.
- Have a pre-natal multivitamin tablet after consulting
with your neonatologist.
- Also, moms having difficulty with breast feeding can
try Mother’s Horlicks.
- Another natural tip to start lactation is trying
moong dal plus jaggery, steam it and mash and add milk and a little
cardamom (elaichi) seeds.
As recommended above, good protein intake is a must
for good lactation and food supplements like Mother’s Horlicks, Protinex, etc.
are excellent in this aspect.
Mom breast feeding baby | Source
Breast milk is very important for a baby. | Source
Funny Yawning Baby | Source
Mom kissing infant baby | Source
Mother and baby elephant | Source