- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
5 Noticeable signs that you're not well.
Being healthy can mean many things. A person can show physical signs of being healthy but when examined more closely, may be struggling emotionally or physically. Looking our best and feeling our best are closely related. Everything is interlinked and causes a ripple effect on each other. It is very true that if you look good you do feel better so below are 5 ways you might be slacking on your appearance that could be negatively affecting your health.
Your Complexion is Hazy
Instead of washing your face after a long day trekking through the busy populated city, weaving through polluted intersections, you think ‘nehhhh’, and jump into bed without washing your face. Think of all the stuff that settles on your skin during the day. Leaving it there overnight can increase the risk of breakouts. Buy yourself a soft cleansing face wash, toner and moisturizer then wash and moisturize your face every evening. In a week you’ll start seeing a difference in the clarity of your skin.
Gnawing on your nails
Nail biting or even picking at the split ends of your hair may just be something you do out of plain old boredom, but in many cases it’s more than likely a nervous habit and a sign of persistent anxiety that could benefit from medical treatment. [L1]
Before heading straight to the doctor after freaking out about possible self-diagnoses try these simple ways to solve your nail snacking problem.
- Coat your nails with a bitter tasting nail polish, there are great garlic ones that will remove the urge to gnaw as soon as you get a whiff of the smell and introduce it to your taste buds.
- Keep your nails trimmed and polished. If you take care of them you’ll feel less inclined to chow the tips.
- Try some stress relieving techniques such as yoga, running or meditation - through cooking perhaps?.
Read more about nail biting on WebMD .
You see the Hunchback of Notre Dame in the Mirror
Body language says a lot about a person but what does yours say about you? Slouching for one day won’t give you a hunched back, but if you do this day after day your muscles and spinal structure will change. The outward perception of a person who slouches with poor posture is that they are less confident, not motivated and possibly depressed. None of these qualities are positive, but bad posture isn’t something you are stuck with if you make a conscious effort to change it! As the saying goes, ‘fake it until you make it’, so try faking good posture as an exercise. Stand with your feet slightly apart and your hands on your hips. This stance is considered a power pose and conveys the message that you are confident and optimistic rather than a humpback whaling around in self-doubt. Also, try this when sitting: arch your back and do not sink into your chair! You’ll present yourself in a more positive way; that you’re on your game, ruling the ocean as a killer whale and in turn, will trick yourself into feeling that way.
Tired, Puffy Eyes
Tired eyes are a sign of exhaustion, but if you’re sleeping enough, you might be wondering why you wake up you looking zombified!? Many believe that getting enough sleep is the key to keeping the puffiness down but diet also plays a huge role. Seasonal allergies, eating lots of salty foods late at night or consuming large intakes of alcohol can lead to extra water buildup underneath your eyes. No need to continue looking like a creature that devours the living, try one of these tips.
- If you are suffering from hay fever with dry and puffy eyes, try eye drops specifically for that purpose or an over-the-counter allergy medication. Make sure you speak to your general practitioner before taking any medication; he will advise you on your best options.
- Try switching sleeping positions and use a pillow to elevate your head to help drain the fluid from your eyes while you sleep.
- If you are keen on having salty foods and alcohol close to bedtime, try to washing it down with a tall glass of water. Keep hydrated and choose foods close to bedtime that will not affect your eyes the next morning.
- Exercise! Believe it or not exercise promotes blood flow and helps remove toxins from your body; minimizing the zombie eyes.
Check out this article about Michelle Phan’s Zombie Eyes for more information.
This article on banishing puffy eyes is also a useful source.
Super Health and Overall General Hygiene
Super heroes do not start off with greatness, they work up to it. In the way that super heroes work to become powerful, we must all work at becoming our own super heroes by keeping up awesome hygiene habits. Spider man didn’t understand the power of his spidi-senses and Batman used what he feared most to intimidate and catch the bad guys after the murder of his parents. Upkeep of general hygiene will ultimately have you stepping out of the house with confidence ready to take on the day. Make sure you are clean shaven for work, wash and blow-dry your hair and pack lunch for work with care. Personal grooming, diet and exercise will keep you motivated and generally happier since you are presenting yourself in the most beautiful way you can.
What to do to be able to become Super Hygienic!
- Combat the plaque ; Floss and Brush your teeth at least twice a day or after every meal
- Brush your hair daily and protect it from the sun with a UV spray
- Get at least a half hour of exercise in a day, go for a walk during your lunch break or hit the basketball court with your friends
- Opt for a bottle of water at lunch instead of your usual cola packed with sugar
- Don’t let late night movies keep you up, record them for another time and get some rest
- Start your morning with a nutritious meal instead of a McMuffin or chocolate
Check out this Hub on packing lunch for work and school.