10 Easy Steps to Avoid the Auto-Immune Diseases Killing Us Notherners
Ready, Aim, Wait, Wait, Wait, Aim, Misfire.
What happens when an army has been sitting idle for too long in peace? Soldiers don't do well without a fight or even a few good training exercises. They get restless, following directions becomes a joke, and the officers struggle more and more to keep them in order. Your immune is the same way, in a protected sterile environment it too gets restless, misdirected, and disorderly. Hello auto-immune disorders.
All Northerners? Celebrities with MS aren't from Tinseltown!
Celebrities with MS (Multiple-Sclerosis)
- Richard Pryor - Chicago
- Clive Burr - London UK
- Jack Osborne - London, Buckinghamshire UK until age 11
- Margaret Leighton - English Actress - UK
- Allen Osmond and Son David - Ogden, Northern UT (41 deg. Latitude)
- Donna Fargo - Country Singer - after 1 year indoors in Utah
- Richard Cohen - NY
- Montel Williams - Maryland / NYC
- Tamia Marilyn Hill - Singer - Detroit / Windsor
- Teri Garr - Actress - NY
- Ann Romney - Politics - Metro Detroit / Massachusetts / Northern Utah
- Neil Cavuto - News - NY (big supporter of hippotherapy along with Ann Romney)
Notable exceptions: Only two Hollywood Stars with MS? I set out to find a second Celebrity besides the Mousketeer Beach Queen from all of Hollywood Stardom with MS. No easy task. I had to go back to 1964 for anyone famous enough to have a Wiki page. (Dear readers, I'm still waiting for someone to immortalize me in Wikipedia so the existence of me - D. G. DeWalt / "StarlightReflex" registers in the Great Encyclopedia!)
- Annete Funicello - Utica NY until age 4, then Southern California - indoors everyday (dance studio 6 hrs / day. Even beach movies were filmed indoors!)
- Joan Didion - Author - from NY, she was diagnosed with MS just 4 years after relocating to Hollywood. As an active Author, I imagine she spent most afternoons indoors at the typewriter (1968).
She's Doing Something Right. Do You See What it is?
UV and Your Immune System
Everybody has potentially deadly bacteria, viruses, and even cancerous cells living in their environment and yes, in their body right now. Everybody "has cancer" because DNA is constantly damaged by radiation, chemicals, and random mutations. What we know as "cancer" is the failure of our immune system to recognize the growth as harmful and act by eradicating or suppressing its advance. It's the same with bacteria, we need good bacteria just like we need good cells.
The million-dollar question is the accuracy of the immune system's judgment of good vs. bad. I'm not sure if there are "good" viruses, but there are harmless viruses (like ones your pet can get but you can't). A deft immune system flushes out the harmful ones that "act" or "appear" to be like harmless cells. You know these people, the ones who never seem to get sick. Some people even contract the deadliest viruses and eradicate it thinking it was just a cold or flu. Even the dreaded Ebola virus can't defeat those of us with an immune system in the top ten percent. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
Celebrities with Cancer before age 40 - All Northerners!
Celebrities with Cancer before age 40 - random sampling - again, I ask, Hello Hollywood?
- Ethan Zohn - Winner of "Survivor" - Massachusetts
- Will Reiser - Filmmaker - Massachusetts
- Marissa Jaret Winokur - Broadway Star - NYC
- Jonathan Katz - Budapest (47 deg. Lat.) / NYC and MA
- David Lander "Squiggy" - Actor - NY, Pennsylvania
- Giuliana Rancic - Actress - Naples Italy (40 deg. Lat.) Bethesda, MD / Denver, CO
- Ryan Buell - Reality TV Actor - SC (33 deg Lat.) / Pennsylvania / Connecticut
- Michael C. Hall - Actor - NC (35 deg Lat.) / Indiana / NY
Yeah, Inbreeding is no good. But the Amish are doing one thing right.
Best Way to Get UVB and Vitamin D Indoors
Essential Ingredients of a Top Notch Immune System
- One good dominant gene per pair. Genetic testing before marriage and/or conception., Don't wait or wonder about your odds of healthy reproduction
- 2-6 daily doses per week Multiple Vitamins, Especially D and B (complex)
- 2-6 daily doses per week Multiple Minerals, Especially Magnesium and Zinc
- 600 mg DHA Omega 3, DHA from algae or fish is more helpful and harder to get than EPA.
- An hour or two in the AM. Stress / noise / frustration - cortisol, A little cortisol is perfectly normal, just avoid stress that sticks.
- From Supper to Bedtime at least. Smiles, laughter, family, friends, community, Stay social and connected
- Stimulating Changes, Balance of good habits (routine) and thrills / challenges / victories
- About One Hour Tropical Noontime Sun, Indoors from UVB Lamp, Outdoors if your shadow is visible and shorter than you
- Fresh air, nature, animals. Live unfiltered., Give your immune system a good fight to exercise against natural germs, bacteria, and viruses.
- Vaccine, Exposure to worst-case germs. Special forces training for your restless immune system.
- About 5 minutes Rayminder UVB Indoor Lamp, Necessary during months around Winter Solstice in states north of Georgia / Arizona.