5 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Dieting
With the holidays already upon us, the last thing you may want to think about is weight loss. However, what better time to prepare to eat all those scrumptious foods and not have to worry about gaining weight later on? According to the National Institute of Health, holiday eating can result in an extra pound or two a year. But you don't need a study to tell you that if you overeat during the holidays, or any other time, you are going to gain weight. So, the bottom line is, do not overeat. The following tips can help you lose weight and prevent weight gain over the Christmas holidays.
1. Cut your portion sizes in half. If you are seriously overweight, or have difficulty losing weight, this may be a good way to start. You could think in terms of consuming fewer calories, but this article is about easy ways to lose weight, so we are not counting calories. Therefore, if you normally have four slices of bread for breakfast, have two; if you normally eat two slices, reduce it to one. The same goes for meat. If you usually have two pieces of chicken for dinner, have one. You should do the same for rice, pasta, potatoes and even your drinks. If you begin by drinking a small glass of juice instead of a large one, you'll soon find your appetite for juice decreasing.
2. Eat several small meals during the day. It has been found that eating smaller meals helps you control your appetite better than eating three large meals. Eating smaller meals does not mean snacking on whatever is handy. It means eating healthy, nutritious foods such as that slice of bread or piece of meat that you left over from a previous meal, along with some fruit or vegetables.
3. Increase your activity level. You don't have to buy a gym membership in order to increase your activity level. If you are an office worker, try ways to move around the office a little more instead of spending a lot of time sitting. If you must sit at the computer for long periods, take some stretch breaks. Try to work in some outdoor activity during the day - take a walk with the kids, walk the dog, play a game. If you are going to the supermarket, park as far as you can from the store entrance.
4. Increase your water intake. Drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water daily not only cleanses you internally, but it can help to curb your appetite for sugary drinks and sodas and keep you feeling full between meals. Some people claim they don't like the taste of water, but once you get yourself used to drinking water, you'll develop a preference for it over those sugary drinks.
5. Fill up with fruits and vegetables. When you begin to cut your portion sizes, you may find that you leave the table feeling hungry. This is not a good idea because you may be tempted to reach for a piece of chocolate or a cookie. You should leave the table feeling satisfied, not stuffed. To avoid this, fill up with fruits and vegetables. You may choose either raw vegetables in the form of a salad, or you may have cooked vegetables such as brussel sprouts, artichokes, string beans etc. Vegetables contain important vitamins and minerals and cooperate with your body to help you lose weight. Round off your meal with an apple, pear or other fruit of your choice.
There you have it - 5 easy and painless ways to lose weight without dieting. The key is not to deprive yourself of the foods you love, but to control your caloric intake so that you burn more calories than you take in. If you begin to follow these tips now, you'll be ready to face those holiday parties and will end the season without gaining a pound.