- Men's Health & Wellness
7 Powerful Ways to Stop Hair Loss
Hair loss is one of the most common hair problems that affects one in every 6 persons. Excessive hair loss is a condition which can be curbed immediately, provided you take prompt action.
The first thing you need to do is identify the cause of the problem. If hair loss is due to genetic reasons, then there is not much you can do about it. At the most you can delay its onset, but you will never be able to control it completely. The other most obvious reasons for hair loss are -
- Sudden or prolonged illness
- Improper diet
- Vitamin deficiency
- Poor health
- Hair treatments such as straightening, perms, coloring, blow drying etcetera.
Once the cause is identified, immediate steps should be taken to remedy it so that hair loss can be arrested without delay.
Here are 7 powerful ways to stop hair lossFenugreek seeds to promote hair growth -
Fenugreek seeds - Fenugreek seeds are an important ingredient in most herbal hair oils in India, the land of Ayurveda. Ayurveda is an ancient medicinal science form that uses herbs to cure various health problems. Fenugreek seeds are mustard in color.
Soak half a cup of fenugreek seeds in warm water overnight. They should be soft by the next morning. Grind the seeds to a fine paste. Apply the paste to the scalp and leave it on for at least 2-3 hours. Wash the paste off in running water. You won't need to use shampoo. The paste will leave your hair squeaky clean with a wonderful natural shine. Follow this procedure each time you think you need to shampoo your hair.
All of the fenugreek won't wash off; you will find tiny pieces stuck to your hair. Don't let that bother you. They will fall off once your hair dries.
There are a number of over the counter lotions and shampoos that you can but for reversal of hair loss. While such potions can be effective they are generally expensive and take a long time to show results. They could also have adverse reactions such as rashes or leave you with an itchy scalp. However, there are a number of home remedies that are safe, inexpensive and extremely effectual in preventing hair loss and prompting hair growth. The procedures use ingredients that are easily available in the kitchen. Since these hair loss treatments use natural products they are bereft of side effects.
- Make your hair grow through oiling - Oiling the hair is a ritual practiced in the Indian subcontinent and this perhaps is the secret of luxuriant hair of people belonging to that region.
- You can make your own oil for controlling hair loss. To a cup of pure coconut oil, add a few hibiscus flowers, curry leaves (sourced from Indian grocery stores) and 2tsps of fenugreek seeds. Heat the oil and along with the ingredients till the moisture in the flowers and leaves dries up.
- Cool, strain and transfer into a jar. Add 1 cup each of olive oil, castor oil and almond oil to the prepared oil. Massage the oil mix on the scalp and leave it overnight. Shampoo the next morning. Follow this routine twice a week.
- Use Coconut Milk - Coconut milk is the extract you obtain from the flesh of fresh coconut. To ½ a cup of coconut milk add 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Mix well and apply on scalp. It is an age old remedy for controlling hair fall. Can be done every day.
- Eggs strengthen hair roots - The idea may repulse you, but applying eggs on your head can help stop hair loss. Beat 2 eggs along with 2tbsps of water and juice of a lime/lemon. Apply to the roots. Leave on for ½ hour or longer if you can bear the smell and rinse off. You can apply oil once the hair dries and shampoo it the next morning. Do this at least once a week if hair loss is severe and twice a month otherwise.
- Cedar vinegar makes hair stronger - Mix cedar vinegar with warm water and apply all over the scalp. Leave it on overnight and rinse off the next morning with plain water. Can be done daily.
- Rosemary is an excellent herb - Rosemary can be used to promote hair growth. Make a strong infusion of the herb and apply it on the scalp. Leave it overnight and rinse the next morning. It is a safe procedure that can be done very day.
Yoghurt stimulates hair growth - Yoghurt not only tastes good, it's also good for your hair. Use unflavored yoghurt as a hair pack. You can combine it with eggs or lemon juice or Indian gooseberry powder. The latter should be available at Indian or Pakistani stores. You can use one or all the ingredients to make a smooth paste. Apply it liberally on your scalp and hair. Wear a shower cap as this could get messy. Leave on for 1 hour and rinse off. Do as often as time permits.
The hair growth treatments mentioned above will definitely help control hair loss. You can try all the methods or follow a few of them; either way the results will be noticeable within a month.
Watch your diet to control hair loss
While all the treatments mentioned here are for external use, you need to nourish your hair internally as well. Hair will remain healthy as long as your diet is healthy. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Doctors recommend that you eat at least 7 helpings of fruits and vegetables every day.
Keep your diet free from processed foods and ensure whatever you eat is fresh so your hair gets the nourishment it requires. Eat whole grain products as they are more nutritious than products made from processed flours.
Have a high protein diet, as hair is made up keratin which is a protein. Lean meat, seafood and fat free dairy products are rich sources of protein that can nourish your hair from within.
Nuts and seeds are packed with vital nutrients that are so important for overall health of your hair. Snack on nuts like almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, cashew nuts etcetera to provide extra strength to your hair.
Water is another vital element that must not be ignored. Drink 6-7 glasses of water daily, as it helps keep the scalp from drying and causing hair fall.
Sometimes food does not provide all the vitamins and minerals we need. It then becomes essential to take vitamin and mineral supplements. The most important vitamins and minerals that can restore hair are -
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6 and
- Vitamin B12
Taking a supplement capsule that includes all these vital nutrients could stop hair fall and induce hair growth.
Fight dandruff to promote hair growth
- Get Rid Of Dandruff With The Right Foods
Fight dandruff by changing your diet. Eat the right foods and cure dandruff naturally.
© 2012 Juana