7 SURPRISING FACT ABOUT TEETH
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR TEETH
Did you know that chocolate is good for your teeth and orange juice is bad?
Here are seven surprising facts about your teeth.
- Brushing is good for bleeding gums. It helps remove the buildup of plaque, which may be the cause of the bleeding.
- Kids shouldn't suck their thumbs because it can harm theit teeth. New York dentist Dr. Mark Liechtung says that front teeth can be affected if the sucking continues after age 3 or 4.
- Drinking fruit juice can damage teeth. It contains acid that can erode healthy teeth. Avoid giving a child fruit juice later in the day, close to bedtime.
- Pregnancy affects the condition of your teeth. Liechtung says the hormones from pregnance can cause gum disease.
- Chocolate protects against tooth decay! Japanese researchers found that the cocoa bean actually has antibacterial powers. But chocolate also contains sugar so rinse or brush your teeth after eating it.
- Dentures need to be replaced every five years. Liechtung says they may last far longer than that if the wearer hasn't gained or lost a significant amount of weight.
- Flossing prevents heart disease. The American Academe of Periodontology says people with gum disease have almost twice the risk of fatal cardiovascular disease.