Alternative Depression Treatment
Some Easy And Self Treatment Of Depression
While everyone has experienced depression in one form or another, with clinical or other forms of major depression, sadness, and other symptoms that present themselves are intense and last for longer than what is considered normal. Treating depression does not need to involve drugs, there are many softer and more natural ways for alternative depression treatment.
There are roughly 19 million American adults living with major depression. Because depression can become a serious medical illness, it requires professional care. Although depression can be mild, it is highly complex in nature and one that should not be taken lightly. If one is feeling the symptoms of depression for longer than two weeks, speaking to a doctor or online doctor and/or setting up an online medical consultation and/or appointment is recommended.
There are several forms of depression, which include major depression, mild depression, dysthymia, bipolar disorder (manic depression), and postpartum depression. While there are online doctor consultation services available for patients to discuss depression or symptoms of depression, seeing a certified doctor or psychiatrist in person is by far the best way to find the right solution for the specific condition. However, there are several online doctors who can offer insight into the causes and methods of temporary depression treatment that may be beneficial to one until he or she is able to consult with an offline medical professional.
The symptoms of depression vary – one may experience five or more of the following for at least a two-week period:
• Persistent sadness, pessimism
• Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness or hopelessness
• Loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities, including sex
• Difficulty concentrating and complaints of poor memory
• Worsening of co-existing chronic diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes
• Insomnia or oversleeping
• Weight gain or loss
• Fatigue, lack of energy
• Anxiety, agitation, irritability
• Thoughts of suicide or death
• Slow speech; slow movements
• Headache, stomachache, and digestive problems
Qualified online doctors will inform that traditional forms of treatment for depression include antidepressant medication and/or psychotherapy.
While these forms of treatment have proven effective, there are several successful alternative methods that treat depression as well. Some of these alternatives include:
• Acupuncture – Acupuncture has been found to dramatically reduce the symptoms of depression, especially in those who have not found antidepressant medications too helpful.
• Biofeedback – This is a technique used that encourages people to watch the signs that their own bodies give them, such as blood pressure, weight, etc. in order for the people to learn about what they can and cannot control about their bodies. This technique is known for its calming effects on the mind and body of the depressed individual.
• Homeopathy – Homeopathy is a system of medicine that is based on treating the individual with highly diluted substances – typically in pill form – that triggers the body’s natural system of healing. Trained homeopaths will match the most appropriate medicine to the patient.
• Dietary monitoring – This is a proven way to reduce the effects and symptoms of depression by following the belief that “you are what you eat.” By changing diets and eating better, people, in turn, generally feel better and see a difference in their daily lives. A combination of a healthy diet and exercise has an incredible effect on depression.
• Aromatherapy – This form of alternative medicine dates back thousands of years ago. Different scents are formulated to calm or soothe the depressed individual.
• Natural vitamin supplements – these have been known to work in reducing the effects of depression by balancing out the body naturally.
• Color therapy – Similar to aromatherapy, this form of therapy focuses on sight rather than the smell and has been proven to reduce stress and bring a sense of comfort to depressed people.
Online doctors and other physicians are knowledgeable about several ways to go about reducing the effects of depression and suppressing the symptoms through simple changes at home. Watching diet and eating healthier, along with taking the proper vitamins can make a tremendous difference in attitude, drive, and happiness. The combination of diet, exercise, and vitamins, aromatherapy, and/or color therapy can account for an even bigger improvement in the lifestyle of the depressed individual. Additionally, the availability of online doctor consultations to discuss such conditions is also extremely beneficial.
Acupuncture, homeopathy, and aromatherapy typically require the expertise of a professional – but are nonetheless easily accessible in this day and age of modern medicine.