- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Antioxidants: Its Sources and Health Benefits
How important is Antioxidant to our body? What are the foods rich in antioxidants?
Antioxidants are substances that protect the cells from damage against the effects of free radicals, which are a natural by-product of natural cell metabolism. Antioxidants are capable of slowing down or even preventing the oxidation of other molecules.
These unstable molecules can cause cancer, damage the cells and also has a major role in heart diseases. So as to protect our cells from these cancer-causing radicals and prevent further diseases to develop, we must take in antioxidants to promote and improve our overall health.
How does free radical damage our cells?
Free radicals can create destructive process in cells by getting the big role in the formation of cancerous cells by "chain-reaction" effect thus it can cause other cells to become damaged. How? Since free radicals are unstable, they would try to attack other healthy cells to be able to get stable.
So the once healthy cells will try to attack other cells too and the process continues such time that there will be much excess of free radicals in our body and in turn, we develop diseases.
Antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals. They are also the protectors and nurturers of our cells. There are many sources of food that we can get antioxidants. It comes from healthy eating, choosing the right diet and/or in the form of supplements.
But I strongly suggest that we get antioxidants directly from fresh resources like fruits, beans, herbs and vegetables.
SOURCES OF ANTIOXIDANTS
blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, elderberries, goji berry, acai berry, blueberries, chokeberries
black beans, small red beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, lentils, soybeans, broad beans
spinach, red cabbage, red and white potatoes with peel, broccoli, sweet potatoes, artichokes, asparagus, red leaf lettuce, squash, watercress
apples with peels, avocados, cherries, plums, kiwi, pineapple, red and green pears, pomegranate, plums, dark grapes, oranges, guava, mangoes, apricots, tomatoes, carrots, black currant
dried oregano leaves, turmeric powder, ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger, rosemary, vanilla, sage, thyme
pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, raw nuts and seed
green tea, coffee, red wine, fruit juice
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ANTIOXIDANTS
Since antioxidants helps to repair cells and promote overall health, I've listed here the benefits that one can get on Antioxidants:
- It prevents many degenerative diseases like heart disease, cancer, alzheimer's, glaucoma, diabetes and macular degeneration (eye diseases).
- It helps strengthen our immune system to have better resistance from colds and flu.
- It helps smooth skin, for younger-looking.
- It helps improved sleep and digestion.
- Relief from menstrual symptoms, arthritis, allergies and asthma.
- It can reduce high blood pressure and can improved circulation of blood.
- It helps to have a better memory and concentration.
- It also helps support kidney functions, reproductive functions and protects the liver.
- It also offers protection against digestive disorders.
- It maintains our dental health.
- It helps reduce obesity.
Antioxidants can have a major impact on your health. Different antioxidants benefits different parts on our body. In order to get the optimum health benefits, we should eat a varied diet and have exercise.
© 2012 Mycee. All Rights Reserved.