- Nutritional Vitamins & Supplements
Benefits of Taking Fish Oil Supplements
Fish oil, which can be purchased at many grocery stores or vitamin shops, has a plethora of health benefits. Fish oil is a great supplement to take for a variety of reasons.
Fish oil is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fats have many functions in the body. They are primarily used in the brain and have a variety of health benefits. Fish oil is primarily used to reduce triglycerides, which is a type of fat that can potentially clog arteries. Supplementing fish oil daily has many other health benefits. Fish oil consists of DHA and EPA omega fatty acids.
Health Benefits of Taking Fish Oil
- Some studies indicate that fish oil may help reduce inflammation in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Several studies have proven fish oil to beneficial to people with Parkinson's Disease
- Fish oil slows cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer's Disease
- Promotes good mental health in people with suicidal thoughts
- May be beneficial to people suffering from depression
- Fish oil may reduce the risk of developing cancer, specifically breast, prostate, and Colan cancer
- Consuming aproximently 1g of fish oil a day may help people with coronary heart disease
There are some risks associated with fish oil supplements. Fish oil should not be taken if the oil is derived from fish liver. Fish liver has high levels of vitamin A and over a period of time it can lead to health problems.
Fish oil also has high levels of pollutants such as PCB. Their are regulations on the amounts of pollutants allowed in fish oil but these regulations might not always be followed.
Fish oil may also reduce carbohydrate cravings and lower blood pressure slightly. The American Heart Association recommends taking 1g of fish oil, depending on weight, to help control high blood pressure.
I'd recommend using Kirklands brand of fish oil as many find it to have the most benefits for its price. It is also reported to not have as many side effects such as fishy smell. Kirkland fish oil is the most commonly used fish oil out there.Fish oil has many health benefits that is defenitely worth supplementing.