Laughter Is Still The Best Medicine
Laugh more so you will live more
Laughter is often tagged as " the best medicine." It reduces stress, sharpens memory and makes your heart healthy. It can also make you feel better and keeps you going after a big downfall. A little fun brought by experiences, stories and jokes can lead to a more positive approach in every situations. We become more relaxed and optimistic even under critical conditions. By simply laughing, we can get the benefits of joy and social interaction. We develop a sense of attachment and belongingness which would make us feel valuable, contented and happy in our lives.
Laughter is contagious. You better spread it!
The ability to laugh is already built in to our system and we use it during the times that we are simply happy and we want to express it. Research shows that laughter is highly contagious. Yes, it can spread from one person to another. This means that more people will become healthier and happier every time you crack that funny joke with your friends, family and colleagues. When we see someone laugh, our brain seems to activate mirror neurons that send us into the same fit of laughter. This is the reason why we tend to laugh even more when we are in a group of people with excellent sense of humor.
A good giggle lowers blood pressure
Benefits of laughter
Humor and laughter can bring you plenty of benefits. Here are some things you might want to know about giggling.
A good giggle helps you:
- Burn extra calories - Laughing for about 10 to 15 minutes increases your heart rate by 10% - 20%, which means you can burn extra calories a day and even burn more over a year. So, if you are conscious with your figure or trying to lose some weight, then the easiest way to do is to laugh.
- Ease pain effectively - In a US study, experts found out that children tolerated pain better than usual after watching a funny TV program. This is due to the fact that laughter helps the pituitary gland release its own pain-suppressing hormones.
- Defend against infections- Humor increases the production and effectiveness of natural killer cells that stomps out germs. These cells are elevated for at least 12 hours of watching a comedy film or a funny sitcom.
- Reduce stress hormones - Research shows that the release of stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline are reduced every time we laugh. Individuals who tend to laugh amidst life's difficulties tend to manage the situation properly. Laughter can be very helpful in stress management.
- Lowers your blood pressure - Laughter makes us feel calmed and relaxed. It can help reduce the risk of hypertension and stroke in the long run.
- Improve alertness and sharpens memory - Based on a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, humor during instruction led to increased test scores. Students who laughed more than the others got high scores. The researchers also discovered that these students also improved their alertness toward the said program.
- Increase blood flow and oxygenation of the blood - Laughing improves blood circulation in your body. An increased blood circulation improves oxygen rich blood flow to extremities and other vital organs. Having an increase in blood flow and circulation to areas of your body helps promote cell growth and organ function. Your skin will become healthier with improved blood circulation.
Laughter brings several benefits to our health. It can even help us face life's battle by reducing the stress on it.
So let’s laugh and live healthier.
Tell us your favorite funny story and let's spread the laughter.
Did you find this helpful?
© 2013 Jemuel