- Exercise & Fitness
Bring It: P90X Day 9
P90X is an extreme workout program. It isn't something for everyone, however, I am not one to give in to my limitations. So, in this ongoing series, I am testing the system and testing myself. Not only is it working me out physically, it is working me out mentally.
So far, I have passed the first official week of P90X Classic and I am heading head strong into the week ahead. I am hoping you will follow me on my journey to see whether or not this system works or is just another advertising gimmick. If you would like to start from the beginning of this series, please click here. If you want to read about my previous day with P90X, click here.
Feel free to leave your comments below - either to share your own thoughts and stories or give me a boost. This ongoing series is an attempt to keep myself from quitting halfway through. Together, hopefully we will all end up a little stronger and healthier.
Today was the day I will probably never look forward to. I mean that most sincerely as in I hate jumping exercises. However, I got up and got started right away. I didn't want to find myself slacking, especially on a day that would be so easy to just avoid.
Yet, today I decided to not slack. I wouldn't wuss my way through this workout. In fact, I was going to push myself harder and further than I ever have before. That is difficult with a workout were you mostly hate the moves. That, to me, is plyometrics.
Not don't get me wrong. There are some moves that I find fun.... like pretending to jump tires... or the Heisman (think football stance!) I will even admit the Leapfrog jumps can be somewhat entertaining as well, even if squats are semi-involved. By the time I am done, I am a squating, jumping, leapfrogging, Mary Katherine lunger playing football with jumping jack. If, of course, that makes any sense!
Jump to it
Plyometrics is basically a workout that involves mostly jumping. And jumping, whether you believe it or not, is good for you. I know. It is hard to believe, especially as your knees are aching and your spine feels compressed. But think about it. In fact, think about it like you were a kid!
What do kids do. They jump. Whether it is jumping from one thing to another because they think it is fun; or maybe they enjoy jumping rope. Sometimes they jump just because they like to jump. Were in the timeframe of our lives did we suddenly go from thinking jumping is fun, to hating jumping. But we do. So, here is were we need to step back from that negative attitude and just do it.
So it is time to think positively! What will plyometrics do for you.
- It will increase your athleticism. If you are any type of athlete, this is the workout for you. It will help you stay quick on your toes. It will also help you jump higher. If you are a basketball player, that is a bonus for you. Think slam dunks. If you play baseball, imagine that ball that you can now catch that might have otherwise gone over the fence. Football - think about how professional athletes like to jump into the stands. How do you think they can do that. I bet they do some form of plyometrics!
- It will help you explode on your toes. Now I am not saying you are a bomb, (although if you make it through this workout you are "The Bomb!") or that your feet will never touch the ground. But, it will help you move quickly at a moment's notice. This is important in any type of competitive sport. So, if you want to be a good athlete, it is time to get your jump on!
- It makes your powerhouse nice and lean. Yes - I am talking about your legs. Your legs are what will carry you through life, so you need to make sure they are strong enough to do it. Developing your leg muscles will also have the benefit of burning more calories. They are such a huge muscle in the body that it is important to keep your legs toned for optimal results in any workout program! After this, not only will you be stronger, but your body will be more efficient overall.
- It is heart healthy. Think about it. You are doing cardio, which is making your heart stronger. You are also breathing deeply. Which will help expand your lungs. This workout will not only make you stronger, but it will increase your endurance. Who doesn't want that?
Equipment to jump on
This little gadget will not only incorporate plyometrics into your routine, but it is cheap and portable. Everyone should have a jump rope. So get yours and return to your childhood for a short time.
Plyometrics is a great workout. These are just an overview of the benefits. If you want to be in the best shape of your life, this is not a workout you are going to want to avoid. However, P90X is an extreme workout and it is definately not for everybody. But, that doesn't mean you can't add a touch of plyometrics into your lifestyle!
What can you do?
- Jump Rope - jumping rope is relatively inexpensive and is actually fun. You can bring it with you wherever you go to get a great cardiovascular workout. It will also strengthen your entire body, since you are working your legs, your amrs, and your heart all at the same time. So, if P90X Plyometrics is not for you (or you just don't have access to it!) jumping rope is a great alternative.
- Trampolines - Now this is not a cheap way to get your jumping in, but in today's world, there is so many people who have trampolines anyway, so if you have one why not use it. And guess what? It isn't just for the kids. So, kick the kids off the trampoline and get your workout in. Or, join them. Who said working out can't be fun. A bonus for the trampolines is that the soft surface is easy on the knees. But be careful, you can injure yourself in other ways!
- Jump through puddles - Rainy day. Get your workout in by jumping and splashing through the puddles. Kids do it - parents get annoyed. But let your guard down and release your inner child. Don't you remember how much fun you used to have running and jumping through puddles when you were a kid. No puddles - no problem. Create your own with a hose! Or better yet, get the sprinkler out (the old fashioned kind!) and run and jump over that. (Now this is obviously not an option for everybody - but I live in Southern California and it is still warm enough!)
- Leaf jumping - it is fall and the trees are shedding their leaves. You know raking is an inevitable part of the season. But don't let those leaves go to waste. Take a running jump into the leaf pile. This will also double your workout as you will have to clean up the mess all over again!
- Pogo Stick - A great exercise to strenghten those leg muscles and help your balance. Pogo sticks are on the jump back into fun outdoor toys. So why let all the kids have the fun. Get everybody in the family a pogo stick and make it a competition to see who can jump the longest. I will warn you though, as adults we weigh more than kids so make sure the pogo stick is able to hold adult weight. We don't want to get injuried by trying to get healthy!
How about you?
Are you currently involved in a workout program
What are you waiting for?
Now, I know I may complain alot about plyometrics. In reality, it is only an hour out of your day if you are following the P90X Classic Program. And if you really want to think about it, you only need to do it 3 times in the first month, based off program guidelines. So, while it isn't my favorite workout... it is one of the best if you are really trying to bring it.
However, I do understand not everyone has the program at home. Therefore, having other options is necessary. Not to mention, if you have passed the first 90 days on the program, these other options might be a great way to sneak in some plyometrics if you are running short on time.
So together, we all need to jump on the band wagon. Let's get healthy and make our bodies stronger. Are you ready to join me yet?
Click here to read about Day 10, which features reasons as to why you would want to keep your biceps, triceps and shoulders strong!