Bronchitis - how to treat bronchitis
Bronchitis causes, symptoms and treatment
Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial passages that goes from trachea to the lungs. Cause of bronchitis is viral, bacterial or some other irritants. This causes inflammation and produce mucus and makes people cough. Bronchitis is body’s immune response to protect against the infection. There are two types of bronchitis, acute and chronic.
Generally, acute bronchitis is caused by a viral infection, the viruses that causes cold and flu. It can be bacterial. Other causes of bronchitis are exposure to tobacco smoke, pollutants, chemicals and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
When bronchitis occurs frequently and lasts for more than two years it becomes chronic bronchitis.
Symptoms of bronchitis are as follows:
- Production of clear, yellow or green mucus.
- Fever and chills
- Chest pain
- shortness of breath
Acute bronchitis usually gets better in three to four weeks. Chronic bronchitis has a long term symptom which comes frequently.
Risk factors for bronchitis
- People exposed to second hand smokers
- People with weak immune systems
- The elderly people and infants
- People with gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Exposure to chemical fumes from ammonia, strong acids, hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, dust haldlers and grain handlers.
Treatment for bronchitis
People suffering from bronchitis are instructed to rest, drink plenty of fluids, breathing warm and moist air, humidification of the room and take over-the-counter cough medicine and pain relievers to relieve symptoms. Most of the cases of acute bronchitis a may go away without any symptoms.
Chronic bronchitis may not go away. In chronic bronchitis there is permanent damage to the airways linings with inflammed airways and cliia. This may lead to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD. Smokers should stop smoking to prevent this.
Doctors may prescribe:
- Antibiotics to treat infection.
- Cough medicine or syrup with expectorant or suppressant.
- Bronchodilators to open the bronchial tubes and clear the mucus
- Anti-inflammatory medicines and steroids for persistent symptoms.
- Resting as much as possible. Rest is the most important thing during a illness.
- Drink as much as fluid possible. Warm fluid should be taken.
- Avoid cold or icy fluid.
- Avoid cold air exposure.
How to prevent bronchitis
- Avoiding tobacco and quitting smoking
- Using a humidifier
- Cold-air face masks
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Pneumonia vaccine
Home Remedies for bronchitis
Home remedies are very helpful to cure bronchitis.
Ginger and honey tea
Drink ginger and honey tea. Cut ginger into small pieces and put in a hot cup of tea. Put one teaspoon of honey in it to make it stronger. Drink this three to four times a day. It will loosen the cough and mucus. This is very effective home remedy for relieving cough which eventually cures bronchitis.
Lemon and honey
Put one teaspoon of lemon and on teaspoon of honey together and drink this three to four times a day. This is a very helpful to cure the cough of bronchitis. Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which helps to kill the bacteria and reduce inflammation.
These are some of the remedies of bronchitis. Bronchitis symptoms should be taken care of as soon as possible, because complications can lead to pneumonia.
The information provided in this hub is not substitute for professional medical help. Please consult your physician before using homeremedies.