How Do Caregivers Promote Their Client's Health?
What is Health Promotion?
Health promotion means making positive contributions to your client or family member's health status. It involves looking at the patient as a whole rather than focusing on illness and disease.
Being a caregiver means more than ticking off a list of care tasks. Caregiving is supporting your client to meet all of their needs.
When someone is sick, we often focus on restorative therapies or cures to treat the illness. It is important to focus on the whole person and the ways that we can improve their quality of life. By focusing on these positive aspects, you can improve your client's health and overall wellness.
Caregivers should provide care for the entire client by focusing on:
Focusing on a client's physical health may seem to consume most of your time. However, we are going to take a different look at what physical health means. Focus on the positive aspects of physical health and encourage those behaviors.
The physical health promition includes:
- Getting regular hearing and vision tests
- Attending annual physical wellness checks
- Incorporating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein
- A physical fitness routine that includes 3 days of thirty minutes of moderate activity per week.
- Drinking plenty of fluids (almost half of your body weight in pounds per day)
There are many ways to improve your client's intellectual wellbeing by providing mentally stimulating activities that further his or her education.
You can provide intellectual experiences such as:
- Provide learning experiences like guitar or piano lessons, community classes, or cooking experiences.
- Scheduling field trips to interesting locations like history museums, art galleries, musical performances, the zoo, and plays
- Find lectures or meetings with interesting people and experts in their fields like artists, musicians, professors, or politicians
- Provide a library of books, music, and movies.
Self-determination theory says that people have three basic psychological needs:
- Autonomy: the ability to act on your own accord with an actual choice
- Competence: feeling proficient in your environment
- Relatedness: forming relationships in which you feel valued
Other ways to protect and promote psychological health involve encouraging regular mental health screening, assisting with appropriate therapy services, and engaging in support groups.
Encouraging social interaction is an important aspect of health. It's important to:
- Engage with your loved one by conversing with them instead of talking at them.
- Participate in social group activities by setting up membership with a church, senior center, or community center.
- Maintain relationships with family and friendships
Supporting his or her emotional needs provides security and connection on a larger scale. It ensures that your client or loved one is living a meaningful life.
In order to meet emotional needs, you should identify important needs, provide support, and encourage opportunities to promote feelings of acceptance and competence. People thrive when the feel cared about and listened to!
If your client or loved one placed importance on their spirituality, it is important to maintain their spiritual care. This can be done by encouraging attendance at their place of worship. Some clients benefit from maintaining spirituality by practicing meditation or yoga. This should be encouraged. Spirituality is important to holistic health.
Providing a rich assortment of engaging activities and relationships will increase the quality of life of your client. In fact, providing physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual care will keep your client healthier, mentally sharp, and give them a longer life!