- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
Common Cold Remedies for babies -- Easy Homemade Natural remedies - Sukku Kashayam Recipe
What's the cause of Cold ?
Colds are infections of the mouth, nose and throat. Doctors call these areas the upper respiratory tract. Colds are caused by one of many different viruses. Babies tend to get a lot of colds because their immune systems are still developing and gaining strength.
Colds spread when someone with a cold sneezes or coughs, unleashing a virus into the air to be inhaled by someone else. Colds can also be spread through hand-to-hand contact. So always cover your mouth when you cough, and wash your hands after blowing your nose.
In babies less than five years old there is a 50-50 chance to develop a ear infection while having cold. So please take care of your baby well to avoid troubles.
Effects of cold and Symptoms
If your baby has a common cold, you may notice some of the following:
- Reddened Eyes
- Sore Throat
- Stuffy runny nose
- Loss of Appetite
- Irritability and Restlessness
Your baby may be having trouble breathing through his/her nose if all stuffed up, so feeding will probably be difficult. Babies can't blow their noses, so you'll have to help your baby to clear the mucus.
If your baby has been sleeping through the night, you'll be reminded of those first few weeks of life. He'll probably wake up several times because his nose is stuffy. Expect to be up with your baby, comforting him and wiping his nose.
Above all, have patience and don't get irritated for whatever reason it might be. Just play it cool and sooth your baby all day round.
Treat Common Cold in Babies
Common Cold is always a cause of concern and taxing for the baby as well as the parents. As per US FDA, cough and cold medicines (Over the Counter or Prescribed) have no effect on children less than 4 years of age and are even harmful for the babies.
This makes it even more tough for the parents to take care of their cranky baby and sooth him/her through the phases of cold.
A common cold should last between 4 to 5 days for a baby. During that phase to make baby feel better and move on a course of speedy recovery you can try the below mentioned five home remedies.
These remedies are pretty effective and provide relaxation from cough and cold. These are written with babies in mind but also applies to Adults.
Go ahead and give it a try and Leave me a comment if it works !!
1) Mustard oil with Garlic Massage
Age Limit: 5 months and above
Application: Twice a day, once in morning or noon and once at night before sleep.
- Take 5 table spoons of mustard oil in a bowl
- Add two diced Garlic cloves in the oil
- Heat it gently
- Gently massage it on to babies chest, back, hair and foot (Sole)
2) Water with black Pepper and cumin seeds
Age Limit: 1 Year and Above
Dosage: Throughout the day, give this water to baby whenever baby is thirsty and asks for water.
- Take four big glasses of water in a boiling pan
- Add two spoons of cumin seeds
- Add a pinch of black pepper powder, make sure you add very little of pepper.
- Boil it for 10 minutes and then filter the water out.
- Allow it to cool off and give it to your baby whenever he/she is thirsty
3) Milk with Pinch of turmeric
Age Limit: 1 year and above
Dosage: Give it to the baby during the usual milk feeding time.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to the milk
- Microwave or boil it for a minute.
- Cool it off a bit and feed it to your baby
4) Mashed Potatoes with Black Pepper and Salt
Age Limit: 1 year and above
Dosage: Once a day
- Take one boiled potato
- Half cup milk
- Boil milk in a pan and add Mashed potato
- Add pinch of salt and black pepper powder.
- Let it heat for 5-10 minutes and mix it well
- Let it cool off and feed it to your baby
5) Sukku Kashayam -- Ancient Indian Herbal Juice for Common Cold **Very Effective**
Age Limit: 3 years and above
Dosage: Three times a day
- Take a piece of Jaggery.
- Two spoons of dry ginger powder
- One Spoon of black pepper powder
- One cup of water in a boiling pan and put it to boil
- Add jaggery, ginger powder and pepper
- Let it boil till the water reduces to half cup
- Filter the water and drink it three times a day