- Diet & Weight Loss
Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla de Patatas) Recipe
Day 2 - Healthy Eating Plan
30 grams of Co-operative Low Fat Rice and Wheat Flakes and 80ml of Semi-Skimmed Milk
1 Slice of Toast spread with Flora Light and Marmite
plus 1 small bunch of Red Seedless Grapes.
Comment: A very filling breakfast. Of course if you wish to have an even lower fat content you can opt for skimmed milk, personally I think it's like drinking water, but to each their own.
1 Bread Roll spread with 2 tablespoons of Hummus, wafer thin slices of Cucumber, Yellow Pepper, Tomato, Lollo Rosso Lettuce and Rocket.
1 large Jaffa Orange.
Comment: Love Hummus, great with crusty bread, again you can lower the fat content by opting for low fat Hummus and there are now some fabulously different varieties of hummus in the shops, I recently had a chilli and red pepper version which was delicious and not too spicy.
You might like to try the hummus with some roasted vegetables as another option which is a taste sensation in your mouth.
DINNER - SPANISH TORTILLA (TORTILLA DE PATATAS)
My in-laws live in Spain and I must say that this is a real favourite when we're over there, my Mother-in-law Ann does a fabulous version which knocks spots of mine, I know that some people add other things such as garlic and red pepper to their tortilla (Ann would tell them off) this is a more traditional version which I hope you will enjoy.
6 Free Range Eggs, medium-sized
225g/8oz of Organic Potatoes, parboiled
1 medium Organic White Onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon of Vegetable/Corn Oil
Freshly ground Salt and Black Pepper
- Ensuring that your parboiled potatoes are as dry as possible, slice them into round slices about ¼ cm in thickness.
- Using a large non-stick frying pan or saute pan heat the tablespoon of oil.
- Add your slices of potatoes and onions to the pan, toss them around gently to coat them in the oil.
- Turn the heat down to it's lowest setting and add a generous sprinkling of freshly ground salt and pepper, pop a lid onto the frying and cook very gently for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Turn your potatoes and onions over and put the lid back on for a further 10 minutes. Remember you don't want these to brown just to soften and cook so gentle cooking please.
- While this is cooking crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk lightly using a fork, it is important not to overbeat your eggs.
- Add the eggs to the potato mixture and still on the heat's lowest setting continue to cook, uncovered this time, for a further 15-20 minutes.
- When there is no longer any liquid egg showing on the top of the tortilla now is the time to turn over your tortilla. The easiest way is to put a plate on top of the frying pan and quickly but carefully turn it over so that the tortilla is on the plate. Put your frying pan back on the cooker and slide the now upturned tortilla back into the frying pan and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes and then turn off the heat and leave to settle for about 5 minutes.