How to Stop Diarrhoea During Cancer Treatment
When receiving various treatments for Cancer it is not uncommon for patients to have problems with diarrhoea /diarrhea as a side effect. This can be caused by the Cancer treatment itself, infections, medications, anxiety or stress. The best way to control the problem is through your diet, and whatever the cause of the diarrhoea in your particular case you will probably find that a temporary change in your diet will help. When you begin to find the symptoms have reduced you can discuss going back to your normal diet with your medical team (including your dietitian).
Useful Tips to Prevent or Control the Diarrhoea / Diarrhea
- Drink lots of fluids including water, fruit squashes and soups. Try to drink at least 8 to 10 cups of fluids during the course of the day.
- Eat regular small and manageable meals.
- Try to restrict your intake of alcohol and high caffeine drinks such as coffee, strong tea and high energy caffeine based drinks such as Red Bull.
- Reduce your fibre / fiber intake by substituting wholemeal bread and cereals with white varieties.
- Avoid fatty, greasy foods and highly spiced foods as these can irritate your bowel.
- Cut down on raw and dried fruits, as well as vegetables that have skins e.g. potatoes, and vegetables with seeds or pips. Likewise cutting right down on beans and pulses is advisable.
- Avoid large amounts of artificial sweeteners, and remember these are not just the ones you drop into your hot drinks, many of these sweeteners are found in sugar-free or diet food and drinks.
- How to Prevent Nausea and Vomiting During Cancer Treatment
During Cancer treatments such as Chemotherapy or Radiotherapy it is common for patients to suffer from nausea and / or vomiting. This article offers suggestions for effective ways to reduce both nausea and vomiting.
- How to Build Yourself Up Nutritionally
This article contains some great practical tips on how to build yourself up nutritionally, especially if you are facing medical treatments for conditions such as Cancer etc. This information will also help you to improve your energy levels and may he
- How to Help a Dry or Sore Mouth During Cancer Treatment
During Cancer treatment a dry or sore mouth is a common side effect. This can affect your ability to taste foods and can make eating uncomfortable or even painful. This article offers advice on how to both prevent and cope with this problem.
- Taste changes related to illness or Cancer Treatments
This article offers some helpful advice for people who are finding their tastes have changed as a result of illness or from Cancer treatments etc. Following the tips in this article should help patients manage to eat well in spite of foods not tastin
- Nourishing Snacks and Drinks for Cancer Patients
Cancer patients often struggle to maintain a healthy weight, and a lack of appetite can also make the problem harder to deal with. This article offer suggestions for various nourishing snacks and drinks that can help to prevent weight loss.
- Bowel Cancer Stole My Husband at 48 Years Old
Try to imagine being married to the love of your life for only three years and then you lose them within two weeks of them being diagnosed with bowel cancer when aged just 48, well that is what happened to me. This is my story....