Healthy Diet to Relieve Postpartum Depression
If you're toward the end of your pregnancy or you're already seeing signs of postpartum depression, you'll want to nip it in the bud early.
The easiest way to maintain and relieve postpartum depression is via your diet. If you can maintain a healthy diet, you can best maintain your mood swings.
A healthy and well balanced diet packed with fatty acids, whole grains and antioxidants will be able to regulate the hormones and how you feel. If you eat better and even exercise regularly, you will find that your emotions can balance themselves out a little bit.
If you just sit at home and eat junk foods, you will feel worse.
Try to maintain a healthy diet during pregnancy and after delivery to best relieve postpartum depression.
- Eat fatty acids (Fresh Salmon, nuts, seeds)
- Eat organic foods, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, unprocessed meats
- Foods with antioxidants (fruits and vegetables)
- Foods that have fiber (flaxseeds)
- Avoid refined sugars and flour
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Part of the fats that you eat are used as stored energy for cells, which can help the body in many different ways, to include hormone imbalances, heart complications, inflammation, and even behavioral problems. During pregnancy you need to increase your consumption of Omega 3 fatty acids, especially for the first 6 months because the fetus will need large amounts for brain and nerve cell membrane production. After pregnancy, you want to keep up your fatty acid consumption in order to reduce your risks of postpartum depression, as it will help balance your hormones.
Plus, by continuing a diet laden in omega 3, you will be able to supply your baby with the best source of omega 3 via your breastmilk.
Whole Grains and Organic Foods
If you're able to ensure that you're getting a healthy and well-balanced diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain products, and all natural products free of additives, you can better ensure your physical and mental health.
The more nourished your body is, the better your body is able to balance its hormones.
Avoid Refined Sugars, Refined Flour, and Artificial Sweeteners
It's funny how watching your sugar consumption can really affect your mood. By avoiding refined sugars, you will really see your mood even out.
If you can create a good balance between your blood sugar and insulin levels, you'll be able to best maintain your moods and relieve postpartum depression.
Tips for Pregnancy and Childbirth
- Importance of Prenatal Vitamins
- Kegel Exercises for Women Before and After Childbirth
- Keep a Belly Button Piercing During Pregnancy
- Weight Training Tips for Pregnant Women
- Naturally Reduce Stress While Pregnant
- Herbs to Relieve Stress and Anxiety During Pregnancy
- Healthy Diet for Women with Gestational Diabetes
- Continue a Vegetarian Diet While Pregnant
- Maintain a Vegetarian Diet While Nursing an Infant
- Supplements to Relieve PostPartum Depression
Disclaimer: Please be aware that the advice in this article should in no way replace that of a licensed physician. If you have any questions, please consult your doctor for any concerns or questions that you may have.