Primarily, each human body comprises of three doshas. They are Vatha, Pitha, and Kapha. Let us see what these terms mean by.
Vatha: Vata is 'Air' or 'Wind'.[ meant for movement ]. In other words, the basic elements of Vatha are Air and Ether.
Characteristics: The structure of the human body decides the type of dosha that is dominant or the combination of doshas. Vatha or Vata body is cold, active, dry, gaseous, and subtle. Normally, the person with vata domination will have wavery mind, be cheerful, matured, philosophic, and communicative. These people also tend to be nervous and fearful. Vatha, being wind, governs the movement of body and mind.
Location: The Vatha portion in the body is below the 'navel' region.
Age, Time Factor & Season
- Age - It's period is 50 and above.
- Time - 3 to 7am and 3 - 7pm.
- Season - October through February
Balancing Tastes and Fragrance
When Vatha is not balanced, some of the tastes can balance it. The balancing tastes are sweet, sour, and salty food/fruit items. Vatha energy can be experienced in flowers/leaves that spread fragrance to farthest in the air.
Asasna Suggested and to be Avoided
The vatha dominant characters should follow certain 'Dos' and 'Don'ts' in Yogasanas [postures].
- Balancing Asanas - bring positive and negative forces together. Some of the asanas are Tadasana, Navasana, Veepareetha karani, Sarvangasana, Shirshasana, Vrishchikasana. Pachimotasana, Padahastasana,
- Bending and twisting postures - By twisting the umbilical chord, gases (vatha) will be released. Some of the asanas prescribed are Yogamudra, Mahamudra, Vakrasana, Matsyendrasana,
- Pranayams [Breathing techniques] - Kapalabhathi, Bhastrika, Suryabedana [inhale & exhale through right nostril], Bhramari, nadishodana [inhale & exhale through alternate nostrils], Kumbhaka.
- Bandhas [Locks] - Mula [anus] bandha [suck it in and hold]. It relieves constipation.
- Bhujangasana (snake pose), Utkatasana,
- Backward bending postures.
- Squatting, Salabasana, Sarvangasana, and Halasana should be avoided by people with weak bones.
Among all other asanas meant for Vatha, the foremost is 'Pavanamukthasana'.