Earache Home Remedies - Ease Earache Pain
Earaches - The Annoying Pain
We have all had them, we all hate them. There are many of us, including myself, that deal with earaches many times a year. My earaches will start with major weather changes or if it is a very windy day.
Often and earache is confused with an ear infection and we take the antibiotics as prescribed, when in all truth, we did not even need the medication. It was just an earache. Many of us are starting to get a resistance to antibiotics when using them when not needed.
Children With Earaches
Unfortunately, children are the most affected from earaches. Most affected are children under the age of two. This making the determination that they even have an earache next to impossible without seeing a doctor.
One of the first indications that your younger child does in fact have either and earache or an ear infection - the rubbing of their ears. So often, children are crying all day and you have exhausted all options - hunger, dirty diaper, gas. But, most times it will turn out to be an earache.
Home remedies are safe and the best way to start, especially late at night when the only option is going to a hospital for seeing a doctor.
Earache Home Remedies
As mentioned previously, children are the most affected with earaches and starting off our children's lives with many occurrences of antibiotics may hinder their healing process later on in life. There are many home remedies that many can use to ensure they have used all options prior to seeing the doctor for medication. Please remember, if the earache does continue for more than a few days, to see your family doctor to ensure there is no infection.
Olive Oil and Garlic
This is the one I use the most often and in most cases, has worked.
- Use either a muffin tin or a oven safe custard dish
- Fill one with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Place in one garlic clove
- Set your oven to about 325degrees
- Leave in oven for about 20 mins
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 mins (enough to cool it so you are able to place your finger in it without burning yourself)
- Place a cotton ball in the oil and ensure it is soaked enough to allow some to enter the ear
- Place cotton ball in ear and lay on your side, allowing for the oil to slowly enter your ear
- leave for about 20 mins and repeat on other ear.
This has worked on my children and myself for years. There are many other home remedies out there, this being used by many as most of us have these ingredients in our home. This one was used on me when I was a child and will continue to use for many years to come.
- Use a common medicine dropper and fill with enough hydrogen peroxide for about 5 drops
- Drop 3 - 5 drops into the ear canal
- Lay on your side opposite of the ear that you placed the drops in
- Let stay for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat in other ear if also aching
This is a very easy way to help ease the pain from an earache. The foaming of the peroxide will aid in the relief and also clear out any build up of wax.
Chewing on gum helps especially if you are at higher altitudes like in an airplane. The chewing will help keep the ears from popping while at the higher altitude. Gum is something that you should always grab, just in case, before getting on any plane and can be found anywhere in the airport.