ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Egg Whites: A Highly Digestible and Inexpensive Form of Protein

Updated on December 24, 2012
This pic is in case you don't know what a carton of eggs looks like - btw, they're in the dairy aisle.
This pic is in case you don't know what a carton of eggs looks like - btw, they're in the dairy aisle.

High in Protein

According to the National Egg Co-ordination Committee (why eggs need to be coordinated, I'm not sure), a large egg white contains 6.3 grams of high-quality, easily digestible protein and only 17 calories, no fat, and no cholesterol. What an awesome and easy way to add protein to your diet!

Inexpensive

Although eggs can range in price greatly depending on the store where you shop and the type and size of egg, I most recently paid $1.05 per dozen at Walmart. You can' t beat that!

Why Cook the Egg?

Because unlike in those hangover movies, where you nearly barf watching them drink raw eggs, you don't want to catch salmonella.

Any Idiot Can Boil an Egg

I say "any idiot" in reference to myself as it literally took me years to perfect this procedure. I seriously could have used this info when I was younger (well, and a laptop).

Eggs in a pot (duh)
Eggs in a pot (duh)

Boiling the Perfect Egg

Start with a pot of COLD water, just enough to cover the eggs (they'll boil faster). Gently place in as many eggs as can comfortably fit the pot - one layer only.

Boil gently for 10 minutes.
Boil gently for 10 minutes. | Source

Boiling the Egg

  1. Turn the burner to High to start them boiling within a reasonable amount of time.
  2. As soon as they start bubbling a BIT, turn the dial down to a point where the eggs boil GENTLY - the idea is to keep them from cracking and getting a bunch of white gunk in the pot. On my last two stoves, 5 1/2 was the perfect setting.
  3. Set the timer to 10 minutes, and go on with your morning routine (except the shower, where you won't hear the timer go off. If the yolks are kind of green, you boiled them too long.)

Cool Them Down

Remove the pot from the stove, stick it in the sink, and run cold water over the eggs for about a minute. (I have to be careful here, as a roommate recently said, "Well aren't you a little water waster."

Ice Bath
Ice Bath

Ice Bath

Next, pour out most of the water and add about one ice tray's worth of ice.

Peel it
Peel it

Crack, Peel, and Rinse

When you're coffee is done and the ice is melted, it's time to start cracking. Find the pointy end, and gently crack it on the countertop. Then hold it under the running water and peel. 99% of the time the shell comes off smoothly, leaving a perfectly peeled egg. But, for the 1% of the time this doesn't happen, keep in mind that eggs are good for dogs, too.

The Perfect Boiled Egg White

So, now you have a bowl of nice, shiny eggs. (BTW, I wouldn't leave them in the shell 'til the next day as they don't peel as well - and you KNOW you'll eat them before they go bad, because they go with almost everything.)

Yes, one's missing as I ground pepper on it and scarfed it before remembering to take the pic.
Yes, one's missing as I ground pepper on it and scarfed it before remembering to take the pic.

Extra Credit

And, if you want extra credit with the kitchen police, just dump the shells down the garbage disposal, wipe out the pan, stick it back in the drawer, and you get credit for cooking and cleaning.

Ways to Used Boiled Egg Protein

There's no end to the ways you can incorporate boiled egg whites into your diet, that's a good reason to have plenty in the fridge. I slice them onto toast with fat-free cheese every morning. I add them to salads, baked potatoes and broccoli, lasagna, etc. On almost anything you eat, add boiled egg whites for an extra kick of protein.

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.

    Click to Rate This Article