- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Why Emotional Health is Important?
What is Emotional Well- being?
Emotional well-being plays a vital role in shaping one’s health. Emotional wellness is a state where people are able to manifest and control their thoughts in a positive way. They know how to react and most importantly, when to react. What matters is even if a person is physically or mentally unfit, the same person can still be emotionally happy. What matters is one should feel good about themselves and not get overly stressed.
Emotional Imbalance- Causes
In the recent times, people are always stressed out, may it be because of their jobs, their families, their finances or may it be because of their likability on social media. Social media at times, which is more often than not, dampens the spirits of the youth and creates negative self- image which in turn leads to unhappiness followed by low self-esteem and finally leaves one feeling emotionally drained out. In out pursuit to please others, we have forgotten what it takes to please ourselves. In our endeavor to gain approval from others, we have forgotten to bask in our own glory and warmth. Is it so important to get a 1000 likes on Facebook or Instagram? Even if you get, what’s the next agenda; obviously to get a 1000 more. Although we derive a sense of happiness when this target is achieved, it’s quite short-lived; mostly because someone else gets more and we again start the race, to compete and emerge superior.
“If your problems are under your control, then why to worry; and, if your problems are not under your control, then also why to worry?”— Anonymous
Havoc caused by negative state of mind
Although the way of living has changed for people, life has not changed for anyone. The same rules still apply. One is born and eventually has to die; all alone. So why not enjoy the moments we have in this single life? If one analyses, the jealousy, greed and everything else feels so trivial. If we are emotionally happy, we can spread the happiness to others. People are so worried about earning more, gaining more, becoming successful and popular, that they forget the gist of life; you also need to take care of your inner self ”YOU”: and no-one else can do that for you. Do not get me wrong- ambition is definitely required and success and fame play an equally important role. But, if you are happy in the process, definitely, go ahead. But if the process makes you challenge your own happiness and well-being, take a step back, give yourself a break and then restart your journey. Life will be full of challenges, but one should learn to not overly stress themselves out over trivial things. Stress not only dampens our spirits, but also can cause serious physical health issues. Stress is the main cause of production of cortisol (a hormone which leads to weight gain and obesity).
How to achieve a healthy life with balanced emotional well-being?
Achieving a stress-free life is not easy, but it isn’t impossible either. Listed below are a few tips to achieve a healthy emotional state of mind-
- You have a life apart from your smartphone and the social media. It’s time to connect with them and have some face to face talks or phone calls.
- If you are feeling angry or frustrated due to some reason, talk to a close friend or family member instead of shutting yourself out. Pent up emotions never help anyone. And by talking, you might even find out a solution to your problem. At the very least, you feel relaxed and calm after getting rid of all those negative emotions.
- Work is important. But if you feel your work is taking a toll on your mind and body, and your relationships are suffering, it’s high time to take a break. A small break can work wonders and you come back rejuvenated and armed to face new challenges at work.
- Take some minutes every day to connect with your inner self. Focus on things you liked during the day, which angered you, what you disliked, your strengths and weaknesses. This gives you the scope to understand more about yourself and how you can channelize your energy into positive things and healthy lifestyle.
- Stop the habit of complaining. It never did any good to anyone. Cringing about things makes you weaker and you are setting up a negative environment around yourself.
- Try to stay active and invest some time every day to exercise. A simple walk can also boost endorphins levels which give you a sense of happiness.
- Music also has a soothing and relaxing effect and acts as a mood enhancer.
- Last but not the least, emotional well-being can be achieved by continuous and sincere efforts. Try to think of happy things when you feel you are starting to get frustrated or angry. It genuinely helps.