5 Things That Will Help You Find Your Life's Purpose
If you are like most people, you have not asked yourself the question, "what is my purpose in life?" For a while I had not given it much thought until someone posed the question to me.
- Make an assessment. First of all I had to assess what the word purpose means and what it means to me. Purpose means to have a function, goal, or objective.
- Get some assistance. I also asked myself who was going to assist me fulfil my purpose in life. So many of us don't think about the help we'll need to fulfil our purpose, goals, and objectives. There is one thing I have noticed about some of my goals that I have reached is that my achieved goals have inspired others to pursue their purpose, goals, and objectives. I remember giving a young lady some advice about publishing her book. I ran into her a few years later and she was so excited to tell me that she did exactly what I told her to do and she published her book. Not only that, but she had obtained radio and TV interviews as well.
- Set moral and honorable goals in your life if you are unsure of your purpose in life. Move toward those goals - now I said move toward them; sometimes you may not reach them, but don't get discouraged, others are watching you. Do you want to be a doctor, teacher, nurse, lawyer, etc.? Those are moral and honorable goals. As you move toward your goals, others in your life will be inspired to move toward their own goals - just move, no one wants to follow a parked car. Keep in mind that purpose, goals, and objectives can involve multiple tasks. Parents, your purpose is to raise your children and you have to be multitaskers, are you not?
- Prune relationships. When your purpose, goals, and objectives are slowly becoming clear to you your relationships will vary from individual to individual, and some relationships will be short lived, some will only last for a season, and some will last for a lifetime. Your purpose, goals, and objectives in life will disqualify a lot of individuals from you because their thinking and actions will not line up with yours. So don't get upset when certain relationships don't work out even though you want them to. Have you ever been with someone who did not understand your goals and objectives? That person can be a hindrance to what you want to accomplish. Think about this point, when you don't know the purpose, goal, or objective of a thing, misuse is inevitable. Have you come across a person who was sloppy in their life? Their life was just a hot mess? You knew that the person made some crappy decisions that affected their livelihood, family life, etc. This person had some misuses in some areas of their life because of a lack of purpose, goal, or objective. Now I do realize that adverse things happen to people even when they do have purpose, goals, and objectives. I am not being a hard knocker. I have made bad decisions. I have misused resources in my life that made things hard for me until I realized the purpose of those resources and I changed direction.
- Don't wait for others to motivate you. Motivation, for most, comes from within. Totally depending on others can make you totally dependent. Now, it is good to listen to motivational speakers that will encourage and uplift.
A good friend of mine gave me a funny example about purpose and relationships. He asked me if I wanted people to help me fulfil my purpose to be like silk - where things go smooth, or do I want people to help me fulfil my purpose to be like polyester - which is not as smooth as silk? I said I prefer people to assist me fulfil my purpose who are like silk - I want things to go as smooth as possible and for the people to be a good support to me. He said now you know you are going to have both types of individuals in your life, and both types will be good for your purpose, goals, and objectives, but it will be up to you to pick and choose those people who will not hinder your purpose, goals, and objectives.