- Mental Health
How to Attain Mental Focus- Align For Success
Why to Focus
"What you choose to focus your mind on is critical because you will become what you think about most of the time."
The perfect blend for Success in life. Add a pinch of IQ, little of hardwork, and a spoonful of Focus. To be productive in what we do, depends on our attitude towards it and the way of approach we deliver. These are the byproducts of Mental Focus, two simple words with powerful attributes.
Analysis on Mental Focus
Mental Focus is the state in which we become attached and completely involved to what we are doing, at the present moment. There is no space for past or future events, only emphasis for the present. What we get in return, freedom from negative thoughts, increase in our work quality and boost in self esteem.
But what prevents us from attaining this state. Some of the reasons or obstacles that hinder our point of focus are
- Doing tasks of least interest- Go to any self help gurus or motivational articles and the first thing they advice you is to listen to your heart. In short do things which you enjoy. However, as we know in real life, most of the time, tasks of least interest occupy our schedule. Being so, our natural instinct would be to either finish it fast or go at a slower pace.
- Points of Distractions- There are number of distractions in our daily life. From the noisy environment to the simplest of objects, these things divert our attention from the task at hand to a least important event, affecting our productivity. Eg; Completing an important project and maintaining a chat session simentaneously. Multitasking is good. But the golden rule is, more than two tasks at once and your productivity plumets.
- Negative Thoughts- They are numero uno in my list of things that affects our concentration. Our mind shuttles from past to future and back again countless times every day. The thought train is so strong that we dedicate 90 percent or more of our attention span to suppress it. Classic examples are worries at home, past experiences, future outcomes, over comparing with others etc. on doing so, our present action takes a back seat and we are simply running on auto pilot.
- Unclear of Priorities- When performing an action ask three basic questions, "Why I am doing this" "Will it help me in the long run " "How to do it". Being a busy person, need not mean you are productive. We can observe this in our day to day life. Most people do not have a clue about their actions and routines. If I am not aware of what I am doing, how can I dedicate myself to it.
Simple Changes can bring Big Results
Through research of self help books and articles, I narrowed down on these common yet powerful tips to realign our point of concentration. They are simple to work out and yet easy to adapt which in total can bring a new perspective to our point of view.
- If the destination is clear, the travel would be easy which ever route you take. Ask yourself,What would you like to be few years from now, A writer, scientist, engineer, painter. Every person has a point of interest in life. What they would like to achieve in the long run. It may take some time to decide, but is worth it. Just make a point to align your area of expertise and interest into your career. They now become your long term goal. Direct and center your action round this goal.
- Some people has increased focus and productivity in crowded environment while others work better when they are alone. It varies from person to person. Identify and concentrate your main tasks in your preferred environment.
- This is very an important point. Note down a list of things you would like to achieve today. After setting the list, dictate priority level to each of them. This helps us to concentrate on the important task more and give it more of our time.
- Difficult task do appear from time to time. Instead of avoiding it completely which can lead to procastination, break it into small chunks. Then concentrate on each individual chunk separately.
- To reduce boredom, which can creep in unexpectedly, I would suggest listening to soft music. Soft music can provide an easy rythm which relaxes the mind. The more relaxed you are, the more focused you become.
- In order to focus clearly, you need to take short breaks. A human mind provides its peak of excellence maximum upto one hour. Then point of perception declines. Counter this by taking short tea breaks with a little bit of streching. A s a result we rejuvenate ourselves, and clarity of our action increases.
- Mutlitasking can easily reduce our concentration level. Maximum upto two tasks at a time and no more.
- A good night rest with moderate exercise can strengthen your mind exceptionaly.