Food For Mind Body and Soul
What’s the secret to look young, feel young and live young? Well, it’s no great guarded secret that all you need to look, feel and live young is to have a beautiful mind, healthy body and a serene soul !But then, you will have to nosh your mind, body and soul with the right kind of food!
To boast of a healthy body, you have to eat right by consuming the food that has all the essential nutrients from the five groups, found in the Food Pyramid.
- Whole grain foods and cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat, chicken, fish and nuts
- Milk and diary products
- Fats and sugar
For a sharp and clear mind it is important that you eat food that nourishes your brains, enhances your memory and elevates your mood . It has been proved that the foods we eat can sway our moods and frame of mind! Don’t we feel weak and inefficient when we are depressed ? That’s because, depression causes some parts of the brain to malfunction and hence, it is absolutely necessary to keep the brain fit and well nourished.
In a nutshell, this is how it works! Our brains produce chemicals, called neurotransmitters, such as, Serotonin, Dopamine and Epinephrine and these, neurotransmitters regulate our moods and emotions .The nutrients in the foods we eat, produce or decrease the production of these emotional neurotransmitter.
Serotonin is released by complex carbohydrates which alleviates depression, calms your nerves , induces sleep and reduces your appetite. Complex carbohydrates are found in -
- Whole grains and starchy foods, such as pasta and potatoes
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Dark chocolate
Dopamine and Epinephrine: Protein stimulates the release of dopamine and epinephrine, which increase energy levels and alertness. Proteins are found in:
- Poultry ,fish and eggs
- Dairy products like milk, yoghurt and cheese,
- All types of beans
- Tofu and peanut butter
In addition to the above mentioned, you need:
- Foods which contain B complex
vitamin like liver,meat,green leafy vegetables,brewer's yeast,wheat germ and molasses that helps improve memory and concentration .Marmite and Vegemite are also a rich source of vitamin B complex.
- Essential fats that promote the absorption of nutrients into cells.These essential fats can be found in nuts, seeds (pumpkin, sesame and sunflower), oily fish like Tuna and oils such as Olive oil.
- A definite must is the healthy omega-3 fatty acid which are found in fish oil like salmon, mackerel, herring, and light tuna. Not a fish eater? Go for foods fortified with DHA ,a fatty acid found in eggs, yogurt, milk, and soy products.
Last but not the least,a good meal soothes the soul as it stimulates the body!Thus, including a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating habits gives satisfaction to the soul. When you eat right, you have a healthy body and a creative mind ,thus your soul is naturally at peace. Moreover, remember that just as food fuels the body, laughter fuels our soul,so laugh your heart out for a tranquil soul!
Finally, the best method to keep the brain fit is by meditation or yoga . But then , since meditation and yoga are all about controlling your mind, your brains have to be nourished properly so that you are able to concentrate. Only after you control your brain , can you attempt to control your mind!
Some random important tips:
- Few cloves of garlic taken everyday can provide immunity against many kinds of cancer.
- Onions can lower blood cholesterol and regulate blood sugar.
- Lycopene in tomatoes can ward off cancer.
- Spinach and oranges keep depression at bay
- Eat on time and never miss your breakfast
- Drink at least 6 glasses of water everday
In conclusion, for healthy body, creative mind and a peaceful soul do not take the advice of the cartoonist,Jim Davis ,'Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.’