- Women's Health
Getting through morning sickness
How to get through morning sickness.-
- Don't complain. I complained to my mom once and she told me, Don't treat pregnancy like an illness. It is what it is.
She is right. You know why you are so nauseous and you will just have to get through it. It is not a stomach virus. It is all part of something very wonderful so here are some ways to deal with it. (Of course, I am not speaking of the most severe types of morning sickness that might cause dehydration and/or hospitalization but rather the general nausea that most pregnant women experience.)
Wake up early
- Wake up a little earlier than you used to. If you need to get ready and leave the house, you need to leave a little extra time for that nauseous feeling you have always been having when you rise from bed.
Eat frequent small meals
- If you are like me, you might feel the nausea throughout the day. Try eating very frequent but small meals. Never let your stomach get too empty or too full. Both can lead to feeling very nauseous.
Morning sickness relief
- If you haven't heard this one before, chewing gum is very helpful to keep your stomach feeling settled and like you will not throw up. Similarly, mints are helpful.
- Cold things like popsicles and ice cubes also bring some relief
- Drink gingerale, seltzer water, or perrier sparkling water. A carbonated drink that is not too sweet should provide some relief.
Wrist bands for nausea?
- You might have heard about the wrist bands that ease sea sickness for cruise ship passengers. These types of bands can also help to ease nausea in pregnant women.
Eating closer to bed time or having a bed time snack
- Try eating your dinner a bit later than you usually would, like at 9pm instead of 6:30 or 7pm. If you have eaten closer to bed time, your stomach will be less empty.
- Try having a small bit of food like a plastic baggie with some saltine crackers on your night stand and eat it first thing when you wake up in the morning, even before trying to rise out of bed. This will help to settle your empty stomach a bit.