Golden Milk: The Drink Made From Turmeric
A Night Time Dessert
I am addicted to this delicious recipe. Before I go to sleep each night, I make a warm cup of golden milk. It helps me calm down a bit so I can fall asleep quickly. I have seen a huge difference in the inflammation in my body since adding it to my diet. This was the first way I introduced turmeric to my diet and it has really paved a path for the creation of many of my own turmeric recipes.
Why Drink Golden Milk?
Golden Milk can be consumed daily to aid with joint issues, such as arthritis and inflammation in the body. If your pain levels are severe you can drink it twice a day. It is great before going to sleep. Turmeric helps to detoxify the liver so the body can clear itself of toxins, which may help complexion and skin ailments.
The turmeric paste calls for black pepper. Do not skimp out on adding this. It does not result in a spicy beverage. Instead, the pepper helps with bioavailability, meaning you will better absorb the nutrients coming from the turmeric.
Golden Milk and Turmeric Paste Ingredients
- 1/4 cup turmeric powder, (homemade or Jiva Organics USDA Organic Turmeric Powder)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp organic cold pressed coconut oil
- 1/2- 1 tsp sweet almond extract, (add to taste for sweetness)
- 1 tsp organic manuka honey, (you can add more honey for sweetness)
- 1 cup cashew milk, (you can use almond milk. I like cashew milk because it is thick and creamy)
- dash of cinnamon and ginger (optional, but delicious!!)
Preparation and Cooking Instructions
- First make turmeric paste. The quantity of paste produced will be last 2-3 weeks.
- Pour 1/2 cup of filtered water to a saucepan on medium low heat. Add pepper and turmeric powder. Stir to combine. Continuously stir until the mixture thickens into a paste. Store in the fridge for later use
- Now that the paste is created, it can be used to make Golden Milk. Add 1 cup of cashew milk to a saucepan on medium low heat. Add sweet almond extract, manuka honey, and coconut oil to the saucepan. Continue stirring until combined and heated through.
- If you have a frother or an immersion blender, use this to thoroughly combine the coconut oil into the beverage. This is optional, but makes the consistency more creamy.
- Add cinnamon and ginger, if desired. Enjoy!
Where I Buy Turmeric Powder
If I don't have time to make turmeric powder, or the fresh turmeric at the store is not looking a bit sad and limp, I like to buy my turmeric powder in bulk. The two places I buy turmeric powder are Amazon and Mountain Rose Herbs. Both have wonderful options. I typically order turmeric from Mountain Rose Herbs when I am buying multiple other items from the site. If I only need the powder, I go to Amazon. I like the Jiva Organics USDA Organic Turmeric Powder primarily due to the size to cost ratio. You can get quite a bit for a low sum of money, which is great since every time I make turmeric paste I need 1/4 a cup of turmeric powder. Hope you find this helpful and enjoy your Golden Milk! The video below is a great instructional guide on how to make golden milk to go along with the recipe.
Dr. Arjan Khalsa's Guide to Golden Milk
© 2016 Healthy Habits