Grandma's Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Childrens and Adults
Spices used in Home Remedies of Ayurveda.
First Aid for Quick relief.
Ayurveda at its Best.
My childhood was under the protection, love and care of my grandma not only one but my great grandma also. I’ve spent almost 7yrs of my childhood with them. I still remember whenever I use to suffer from common cold, cough, indigestion, stomach pain etc. My mother, grandmother use to first pop in kitchen and use to do some magic and I wonder how the pain vanishes.
Now I use the same methods to treat my son. As I personally feel kids body should get immune and we should not put their body dependant on too many medicines, until and unless it’s not in our reach. But better to build up there immunity to avoid especially common colds.
And I feel, this magic everyone should know especially the Health ministers of family. Before I proceed to share do you people know what AYURVEDA is? ‘Ayu’ means Life; ‘Veda’ means to know. To know about life, existence is Ayurveda. It is the healthcare system prevalent in India and its subcontinents since ancient times. Ayurveda is also suggested during pregnancy to ensure proper growth of the foetus; herbal decoctions, to be taken every month to a pregnant mum to be.
So here comes the magic of Ayurveda from Grandma’s corner.
1. Common Cold: Fresh juice of Tulsi leaves with honey is an effective remedy. Even, Basil (tulsi)leaves in boiled hot water is good. Use warm water for drinking. Onion soup with an extra pinch of pepper powder and flake of ginger is also a good remedy.
Tip: At least thrice a week boiled garlic cloves 3-4 no’s or Raw garlic (if you can have) is good to build up immunity also to stay away from cold or allergies. It’s also good for sinusitis.
2. Cough and Wheezing: A juice of Basil( Tulsi) leaves with honey given every two or three hours is a good medicine. For allergic cough and wheeze add Yashtimadhu powder to tulsi leaves juice and honey. Avoid yoghurts, ice cold milk, ice cream, chilled water, fruits like custard apple and banana.
3. Indigestion: Over eating and eating unwholesome junk food is a serious problem what the generation faces today. You can also say as unhealthy eating habits. Which often leads to indigestion? A mixture of ginger and lemon juice with a pinch of salt taken frequently in sips helps to overcome indigestion. For kids add this mixture in Lukewarm water.
4. Pain in Abdomen: This is the most common symptom found during childhood. Best way to get rid of this complaint give a mixture of Carom seeds(Ajwain), Aniseed (saunf), Cumin seeds(jeera) and Saindhav (variety of salt) powdered together along with luke warm water for relief. Pain occurring due to gases is relieved by externally putting drops of castor oil around naval or by applying asafoetida (hing) over the abdomen. Regular use of aniseed or cumin seeds water would prevent frequent occurrence of this symptom. In older children regular use of garlic in daily diet is effective. Avoid excessive use of white flour (maida) and substitute with whole wheat products.
5. Throat Infection: Gargling with a concentrated solution of warm water and one teaspoon salt is effective. Turmeric and Pepper boiled in milk is a good remedy.
6. Constipation: The major cause of constipation is lack in intake of water. When my son was very young I use to give him dry black currants soaked in water given with warm water at bedtime which helps to keep his tummy fine and easy morning calls. A cup of warm milk with half teaspoon of Clarified Butter(Ghee) is also a good remedy. To avoid constipation it is advisable to eat fruits like Papaya, Bananas and melons. The habit of suppressing nature’s call should be discouraged especially for younger ones.
7. Dental Caries and Toothache: Neem leaves, Turmeric powder and clove buds boiled in water and regularly given for oral rinse helps to maintain good oral hygiene . For caries in tooth and pain keep cotton swab dipped in clove oil and Asafoetida in cavity for older children’s.
8. Worms: Embella (Vidanga seeds) boil with milk should be given to kids. These seeds show anti worm properties. Same as, cumin seeds powder(jeera), embella(vidanga seeds), neem leaves, Saindhav salt boiled in water and given twice a month also helps to prevent repeated worm infestations. Also if fenugreek seeds add in daily diet is good.
Your very First-Aid of house is in your kitchen's heart or in your terrace garden. Just dig inside more to use this magical powers for you and your loved ones.
************* ************ **************