Guide to Energy Healing Modalities - EFT, Jin Shin Jitsu, Reiki and More
People have been manipulating the energy of the human body for thousands of years. From acupuncture and acupressure in the East, to Emotional Freedom Technique and Cranio-Sacral Therapy in the West, there is a vast array of energy work to consider.
This guide will provide you with an overview and some basic knowledge of the many techniques and energy healing modalities that are commonly used today throughout the world. Understanding what a practitioner is doing or attempting to accomplish is helpful, but not necessary for seeing results.
I will also include a video when possible to demonstrate what you can expect from a treatment session.
Can any of these methods help you? Perhaps. I will let you decide!
What is an energy healer? A look at Kinesiology
- Acupressure / Shiatsu / Jin Shin Do: Based on the same concept as acupuncture, acupressure and it's various forms work with the meridian systems of the body. A treatment or session is typically gentle, but can be intense as energy is unblocked in throughout the body. Can be done on floor mats, a massage table or in a seated position.
- Jin Shin Jytsu: An extremely gentle healing art, Jin Shin Jytsu works with energy "locks" throughout the body. There is a simple system of self care that allows the client to maintain their balance in between sessions.
- Reiki: An gentle, relaxing healing art that originated in ancient Tibet. The practitioner gentle lays their hands on the clients body "flooding" the clients system with fresh energy.
- Chakra Balancing: The practitioner balances the chakras (energy centers) of the body using various energy techniques which may include crystals, color therapy or sound to bring the energy centers back into alignment.
- Aura Smoothing: This technique smooths, balances and fluffs the energy surrounding the body.
Jin Shin Jytsu Demonstration
Explanation of CranioSacral Therapy
- Kinesiology : The technique is used to evaluate or examine the body in a completely non-invasive and intuitive manner. It utilizes the muscle responses of the body to "answer" questions that the practitioner asks the client. (see video)
- Emotional Freedom Technique: Based on the principles of acupuncture, EFT literally "taps" into the meridians of the body to being balance and restore emotional and physical health. It is extremely easy to learn the basics and begin treating yourself immediately.
- Cranio-Sacral Therapy: Not always considered an energy therapy, this works with the cerebralspinal fluid of the central nervous system. It is incredibly gentle and non-invasive.
- Reflexology: A relaxing treatment that stimulates points on the hands and feet (that correspond to other body parts) to induce relaxation and restore balance to the body.
- Therapeutic Touch: A very gentle energy healing modality that is often used by nurses in hospitals. It brings calm relaxation to patients and is thought to aid in recovery by smoothing the energy of the body.
Before scheduling an appointment with an energy healer, inquire about their training, the length of time they have been practicing or even ask for recommendations from a previous client. Certain modalities require extensive training, while others have no standard requirements or certifications. It is important to make sure that the person you are working with is qualified and a good match for your needs.
About Me: I am a Nationally Certified and licensed massage therapist. I became a Reiki Master / Teacher in 1995, but I no longer practice or teach. I have additional certifications in infant massage, reflexology and sports massage. Additionally, I have studied various energy healing techniques including cranio-sacral therapy and EFT.